Some rock and wood

I’ve been forging a lot lately. Travertine coasters have been a big hit this holiday, as well as cutting boards (always). I even remebered to take some pictures. These were some custom orders I received.

24 Likes

Nice alignment. What’s your go-to method?

2 Likes

Gosh, it’s great to hear from you again! Nice projects. I especially like the sports earrings—I’ll bet they are a big hit.

2 Likes

Nice earrings! I know some Softball Moms that would love to have a pair in team colors this next season. How are you coloring them?

1 Like

When I get home I’ll post a pic of my file, but basically, I create a jig using some tagboard with cutouts the size of the coasters and the graphic aligned to the cutouts. I run the cutouts first and then put the travertine in and run the engrave. The nice thing is I have the file set up where I can put the jig back in and use it over and over, I just made sure it was flush against two edges in the machine the first time I used it so I can always put it back in the same place. the cutting boards I just eyeball. I know how my machine skews the alignment (not too bad) so I can compensate, and I try not to do designs that are that finicky, and if I do I tend to make a jig (same as above) for them. A box of tagboard (cardboard sheets) from Uline is one of the best and most useful purchases I’ve made over the past year with my glowforge. I even make custom boxes for the coasters with it. (I’ll try to remember to post a pic of those too.)

4 Likes

Thanks, they are starting to catch on. I have a website going up in the next few days (www.SmallSchoolSpirit.com) to start selling them. They were one of my original ideas when I first decided to buy the glowforge. The hard part has been figuring out the pricing :wink:

That’s funny, I’ve already had several softball moms hit me up saying, “There’s never anything for softball!” I cut these from two-layer acrylic, etching off the top layer to reveal the color below. Feel free to send them to my website, www.smallschoolspirit.com to order all they want :wink: along with free customization. The website will be back up this weekend. Has to rework it before the grand opening, all the customization options were bogging it down.

2 Likes

Good to “see” you again!
I really like that color of travertine :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Great work. Thanks for sharing your inspirations.

1 Like

looks like you’ve the settings nailed for that 2-color acrylic. Nice!

3 Likes

Hi! So glad you stopped by again…we’ve missed seeing you!

2 Likes

These are all so nicely done! The earrings stand out with the two colors. Really nice!

Nice! What method did you use to get even coloring in your bamboo engraves?

That’s just luck of the draw. Sometimes it’s not. These boards just seemed to have pretty even density throughout.

Love the cutting board! :grinning: