Somethin' Fishy Goin' On Here

That’s a great little demo too - (snagging for the tuts)! :grin:

Jules… :sunglasses:
Code Name: Hedgie
aka: Tutorial Scrounger

14 Likes

Posting another video of the print of a circular box. This time from inside the Glowforge with sound. All real time. Something of interest to those who want to experience more of the process and how the head travels.

The elliptical box generator makes for a strange cut order. They are all individual line segments, not joined so the tool path is fairly weird. As @dan said once, “drunken salesman, it’s time to go home!”

16 Likes

Thanks for the video ! Also shows nice use of utilizing your substrate - not much waste by positioning pieces! (I was about to comment on how quiet the sound and fan were - until I realized I’m controlling the volume…lol):grimacing:

6 Likes

Hardly any piece bigger than one square inch gets thrown away. I can use them.

7 Likes

Wow! I really enjoyed that. I appreciate you showing all aspects of the process. But dang! Looks like I’m gonna have to download Inkscape after all. I have so far resisted since I already have Illustrator and didn’t want to learn a new software. But those handy extensions are making me rethink my plan. Unless there are similar ones for Illustrator (anybody know?).

I love the quality you are getting from the Proofgrade.

6 Likes

I plan to use Inkscape for that extension too. (Already got it installed, so might as well.)

4 Likes

Looks like I’m late getting into fish making with the elliptical box generator.
I tried PG Clear Acrylic and Inventables Yellow Acrylic. The yellow deformed a little more than the clear. Didn’t experiment with settings. After scoring, I applied acrylic paint and wiped off the excess. Fair success at filling the scores with the paint.
IMG_2657
Thanks to BvdP for the Instructable and the Inkscape extension.

10 Likes

Very cool. Looks great!

I’m pretty sure the pattern I downloaded actually had those…I didn’t realize until too late what they were for, though, so the one I cut (this was very early in my GF days) has blank fin backs. It also has engraved scales and fin lines instead of scored, because I didn’t know to change the settings. Kinda gives me a glimmer of how much I’ve learned since then!

2 Likes

The fins are scored on both sides. For the clear acrylic, I put the scoring on the inside surface. Wondered how water soluble dry acrylic paint would be.
I also tried to see strain in the clear acrylic using crossed Polaroids … without luck. But the acrylic was quite flexible and there was no cracking.
There were only a few of the flex-cuts that were made adjacently one-after-the-other so that the acrylic overheated and distorted. The algorithm that chooses where to cut next does a good job in the acrylic case.

1 Like