Something amazing happened today!

Seriously, how difficult it would it be for GF to tape the handles on the inside of the boxes so they are less likely to come out?

What do you think are the chances of international customers receiving any handles?

Pretty hardā€¦ theyā€™re the last thing to go on, after the box is closed. Theyā€™re responsible for keeping the top of the box on.

I suppose Glowforge could invest in training small monkeys, tamarins maybe, to apply the tape from the inside. Of course you would need to keep the monkey along with the important red bits in case you needed to ship the Glowforge backā€¦

11 Likes

Lol, I so thought that was a northern English phrase. Awesome! Hehe

Red power cable !!!

2 Likes

Ooo it comes in green too!

As a shipper back in the day we used to put bands/ STRAPPING on heavy boxes to bind them tightly together. That seams way more sturdy than these silly handles.

https://www.uline.com/Cls_09/Strapping

what an amazing idea AND cheaper Iā€™d imagine. I kinda hate the steel strapping itā€™s sharp and near impossible to get off without it snagging your skin but the poly stuff is everywhere thinking way back to delivering newspapers as a kid.

2 Likes

Strapping seems like a nice idea. But I can only imagine the support posts it would generate from people trying to take it offā€¦

YAY So happy for you!! The red cord is the prefect touch.

I donā€™t want to freak people out or anything, but my unit arrived on Tuesday with ALL four handles intact as well. I held my breath opening the box waiting to see if there damage and everything was perfect.

index

10 Likes

The plastic stuff is easy: find the place it was fused. Flip that over. Grap the tail that was tucked under the strap and tug. It should pop right apart.

4 Likes

I was just writing this as your post appeared. lol

Itā€™s MUCH easier to pull apart the plastic strapping by tugging on its bottom strap, than in trying to pull the top or even hunt for a box cutter.

3 Likes

See thatā€™s the second thing Iā€™ve learned todayā€¦no, i take that backā€¦the third. Itā€™s been a good day. :grinning:

3 Likes

Strapping is for holding the box together, and is not designed as a handle. Shippers use it as a handle, often damaging the package.

The lock-handles are designed to hold the box together and be used as handles. Shippers donā€™t use them as handles and often toss them out, even though they are part of the package.

6 Likes

Damned humans :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I have either a 12 or 15 foot red power cord (15A) for wall to power strip and a 2ā€™ blue power cord for glowforge to power strip. If I could blend them Iā€™d have purple.

My glowforge table is wheeled for when I need to use the pass-through slot.

1 Like

Maybe you could braid them? :grinning:

3 Likes

Happy for you getting your Glowforge this month. Donā€™t think Iā€™ll be so lucky.

the metal ones on the other hand are impossible to get apart without some kind of shears.

2 Likes

Which tend to get sheared when handing the metal strapsā€¦

3 Likes

Picture :smiling_face:

12 Likes

I just squeeeeed. :star_struck:

4 Likes