Something like 200 hours of work later…

It gets there at the first try but that wasn’t that hard to figure out. Made the structure first, then measure the distance to the bottoms of the groves , deconstructed the image taking out the space for wood structure then engrave each pannel on both sides. (Patiently engraved)
I had a question about the continuity of the image thats why i made a miniature first that gave me the answer.

F

13 Likes

ditto, ditto, ditto–amazing!
And inspiring… I’ve been thinking about etching across a group of tiles for a backsplash–don’t have the structure to account for & remove, but so glad to see such a wonderful example of the idea!!

4 Likes

wowzers! that’s absolutely beautiful.

1 Like

I suppose that is what I was asking about, what size wood and what technique to put in the groove. I get that hand carving a short bit is better than carving the whole side which is what a router would suggest which is a very interesting idea when it works with the design. I was even thinking of making the rails as 3 pieces of 1/8" wood but 1.5" and 1" wide x 1/8" x 72" wood is hard to come by. It would be great to use wooden hinges, however.

2 Likes

Simply amazing- definitely worth the 200 hours!

5 Likes

The time and effort that you put into this screen really shows. I like the way that the curved edges on the panels look. Well done.

3 Likes

Worth every minute! This is phenomenal.

1 Like

That is totally amazing!

1 Like

try this site for ‘splitting’ images…Split image online

2 Likes

Great screen design. Came out awesome.

3 Likes

Time well spent. You’ll appreciate your time every time you look at it. Beautiful job!

5 Likes

Beautiful! I am just not patient enough.

3 Likes

About Wooden hinges
1 1/2 inches bi 3/4 by 72 long ceder pieces tends to distort. So the rigidity of metal hinges is greatly welcomed to maintain them straight. The pieces are routed, but good luck if you opted for 1/8 by 72 inches pieces… though, laminated may be a valid solution…

Boxes .py has an external hinge solution that I have used many times and modified many ways as the solution to different situations. :slightly_smiling_face:

Bamboo kabab sticks come in 1/8 or 3/16" x 16" lengths so that would be the length of each hinge, and Baltic Birch could have 5 layers per hinge piece and as many as 128 per hinge could be pretty strong. Routed on a 45-degree chamfer the center of the hinge could be right at the corner allowing for 180 degrees of movement.

That is the ideal of course as currently, the long wood and router table are not in the picture, or rather the router table is but the router motor was a rusted mass and I am having trouble finding a proper replacement.

4 Likes

Stunning and inspirational at the same time. This is a truly impressive response to those who ask: “Why a laser cutter/engraver? What do you use it for?”

1 Like

Amazing!!!:heart_eyes:

That’s dedication. Looks amazing!

2 Likes

Labor of love! It’s beautiful!

Oh, yes! I am amazed,too.