Speed Update?

Sorry to start an entire thread for one question, but was there a speed enhancement recently applied?

I’ve been cutting name tags/ornaments for everyone on our Christmas list. Each one was taking about 20 minutes. When I ran a few last night, they were taking 8 minutes. Huge difference. :slight_smile: I made no changes to the plan, no changes to material or settings. They look just as good as the ones I did earlier. I can’t tell them apart.

Just curious.

1 Like

Using PG engraves? They added some different PG engrave options and the default is a lower LPI, that will run way quicker.

2 Likes

Maple ply engrave defaults (at least it did as recently as 5 days ago) to 450 lpi.

In Baltic Birch ply, any resolution above 195 doesn’t give you crisper or cleaner images, so I always manually shift it down.

The difference between 195 and 450 is frequently about half the time, depending on design. If they shifted that detail, I’d suggest that’s where your time is being saved.

2 Likes
2 Likes

“In Baltic Birch ply, any resolution above 195 doesn’t give you crisper or cleaner images, so I always manually shift it down.”

… is not quite true. You see diminishing returns, but it’s not negligible. Discussed a bit here:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/practical-limits-of-lpi-in-baltic-birch/16172?source_topic_id=16620
2 Likes

In addition to a change in the lines per inch for standard definition engraves they increased the head speed, and increased the power to compensate for the additional speed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, everyone. This is for a standard graphics engrave and then two cuts.

I’ve not looked much at the settings for the PG stuff. I wouldn’t have noticed a change to the lpi if it weren’t for the speed.

@jbmanning5, That’s the first time I’ve seen that page. Bookmarking… How did you get to it? The posts there don’t seem to be sporting any dates. :frowning:

Thought I was on the information train, but apparently I’m just watching it go by now and then. :steam_locomotive:

It’s on the front page (right hand side) of app.glowforge.com (or, at least a list of the last couple of latest improvements along with a link)

2 Likes

Ah… I see it. How’d I miss that before? I guess I’m so anxious to get started when I go to that screen, I’m not looking for anything other than the “Upload” button. HAHA.

Thanks!

1 Like