Spice drawer reorganized!

Can I tell you how super excited I am?!! This is the first time I’ve tried doing my own tabs/slots, so there are some errors, but I am pleased as punch! For some reason, I cannot get boxes.py to design a simple box for me. I used to use it all the time, now it always seems to give me tiny, tiny tabs and hundreds of them, no matter what I do. So I decided to go the hard way - design what I want line by line, tab by tab. And like I said, there are some errors, but I learned a lot.

My husband has been complaining for some time about our spice drawer, because we both take jars out, and although we put them back, they seem to get crammed together and messy. He had seen something on the internet where someone had made a nice organizer for their spices (although they had the square bottles, mine are different) and asked if I could make something like that style. I told him I would certainly try.

Here’s what the drawer looked like before.

So here’s what I made. Because our spice jars have a strange shape, wider at the bottom than the top, they take up more room to keep them lined up, and I couldn’t just to tabs to hold the pieces together because it wouldn’t interfered with the jars (or so I supposed anyway). So I made individual tabs to hold the tops up. And I had to make two sections, because I don’t have a GF Pro, so my bed wasn’t big enough. The drawer is 32.5" x 19.75". So it took up a little more room than I wanted, but oh well.

Then I made the tray to hold all the other stuff. This was harder for me, as I wanted specific sizes for the different sections, some thinner, some longer… so I was ecstatic when the middles all fit together so perfectly, and press fit great! Except I had to do slight modification, because although I got all the tabs and slots perfect, I forgot about the outside edges, so had to do some trimming in order to get the sides on. And I had to glue the sides because I didn’t know how else to put them together, although they too have the slots and tabs. And because I glued the shorter ends on first, they were just slightly too long because I hadn’t modified them, so the long sides stick out a little at the corners. :sob: But at least you can’t see them when they’re in the drawer!

So here’s the finished project! Whoohoo! I did have to use smaller tablets, because I missed the size by just a hair, but that’s fine and I have a ton of tablets I can use.

Oh, and the two more square bottles between the two sets? Both are rosemary, one crushed, one leaves. I plan to combine them, but I broke one my jars trying to get out some old garlic powder that had solidified into a hard rock. As we now make our own garlic powder (from homegrown garlic which I dehydrate and then either rehydrate or grind into powder), I needed the jar for the rosemary. I softened it with water, had gotten some of it out, but was using a knife to break it up into pieces and hit the jar a little too hard. Hence the two rosemarys, and an empty spot for the jar.

41 Likes

Great job! This is a great project! I love all things organizational!

8 Likes

I dig organization projects! Nice

9 Likes

Great practical cut. It is fun to start the New Year with new organization.

8 Likes

Great use to organize

8 Likes

Great planning! I love the organization!

8 Likes

Ooooh! I need you to come do mine now! :smile:

8 Likes

Great execution!!

8 Likes

Cool :slightly_smiling_face: I kept having Garlic rock up on me, but I bought roasted garlic in a large container and it went years without clotting, when it finally did I roasted it again and it was good to the last bit.

5 Likes

Ah… practical cuts. Love them!

4 Likes

This looks great! Well done. I bet you feel a rush of satisfaction every time you open the drawer.

4 Likes

If there’s anything I like it’s a well organized drawer.

1 Like

That looks amazing! Great job!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Oh I love this!

3 Likes

So cool! I love it!

3 Likes

It has really made a difference in making it easy to get the spice I need, and to put it back in its correct space (I put them in alphabetically from left to right, and as I’m usually at the stove, facing so I can see them from there). I really enjoy opening that drawer now and always seeing it all neat and organized.

2 Likes