Spindle shaped round inlay box [includes a poll, come vote]

Chronos, you’re really somethin’!

3 Likes

Ooooh, I really like this one!

3 Likes

As always, outstanding work! Looks amazing and the edge nerdy work was great.

4 Likes

I think those of us who follow your efforts closely are unanimous – Chronos is the best one yet. Very drool worthy! Your friends must be in thrilled to receive one of these pieces of art!

2 Likes

Wow. It’s beautiful. I love the design, colors, layers, and edge nerdery.

2 Likes

Quick poll, how come? Please pick your favorite aspect(s) of it. It’s weird to do market research for your family’s Christmas gift designs, but hey why not?

• Edge layers
  • Overall shape
  • Inlay design
  • Something else
0 voters

Yay for contrasting woods! You know I love them!

3 Likes

Amazing work! Great job!

3 Likes

That’s beautiful. The inlay outline really helps it pop IMO. And the layering on the side is really nice.

Alright, I’ve got a challenge for you if you’re interested: Can you create a box with a “continuous” spiral of wood up the side? As in, have a stripe of Yellow Heart that appears to start at the bottom and run in a spiral all the way to the top? I expect it’ll be many circular pieces cut and bent a little to make it work.

4 Likes

I’ve actually considered this. There are possibilities but almost every solution I’ve come up with requires a traditional woodworking step, like a router or a saw to make a smooth channel. I’ve done some side spirals but they’re all stepped.

Here’s a preview of one I haven’t posted yet:

8 Likes

Couldn’t you make a bunch of cut circles like this and bend them like a slinky? If you use two woods (Walnut and Yellow Heart) and have the Walnut 180 out of phase from the Yellow Heart, it should work no? I guess alignment would be a real problem since the holes wouldn’t be vertical anymore… hmmm…

The bottom and top would have to be sanded flat once the glue-up was done for sure too

7 Likes

You know, you could. The tricky part would be not snapping the hardwood. It’s a clever idea.

I think I’d probably segment it so that it was arcs of about 30-45 degrees and work at a larger scale. That way you could avoid going across the grain and have enough flex to make it a reality. I think it would be really hard to do, but it’s not a completely insane idea.

8 Likes

this would be more likely to work if you use thinner material, so less of a gap created by pulling the two ends apart.

3 Likes

Yeah actually you could do this pretty easily with a ton of veneer layers. Not it! That’s way too much glue up.

2 Likes

Hahaha I was wondering about that too

1 Like

If you had the wood soaking in alcohol it would bend and then hold the shape after drying. A lot easier with Basswood than Wenge but everything else would be between those two.

2 Likes

I was thinking for a second veneer with 3M adhesive, but that would leave no room for error.

Yeah I prefer wood glue, open time is key.

2 Likes

Beautiful! And a similar solution to one I’ve used to some success for the ah, Three Body Problem if you will.

Must take a lot of work to get it so perfectly round! Do you do all the sanding by hand?

1 Like

Go back to the main post, there’s a link to edge nerdery at the end that you click on for more info. I detailed it for you. :slight_smile: