Spiral box

I love the look! Fabulous idea!

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

Yeah I learned about it one day because I had a waitress from Burkina Faso. I realized I didn’t even know the country by name (it was taught to me at the time as the republic of Upper Volta because I’m old), so I grabbed wiki read a bunch of stuff about it. (Service was exceptionally slow That night, but it worked out)

The next time she came to the table I was all “so you said your father was a diplomat, I assume you lived in Ouagadougou?” She was pleasantly surprised that I was that curious so she told me a bunch about what it was like there. The Harmattan always stuck with me.

5 Likes

Great project! Lots of skills here: Woodturning, cutting, glueing, clamping, color selection, GF’n.
It all came together Fabulous!

1 Like

Zero woodturning, this is all glowforge and hand tools.

Specifically: small pliers, dremel for cutting the brass rods (could do with snips or wire cutters in a pinch), sanding block, blue painters tape, utility knife and some small cheap spring clamps.

1 Like

thus, we balance out the universe.

1 Like

My cons are that they take too long to cut, they are very difficult to get truly accurate sizing on curves, they are prone to failure due to material inconsistency, they are messy (lots of cut residue), and if actually used as a hinge, they will break. Hence ‘living’ hinge, they will die eventually.

What pros do you got? I’m curious abut what I’m missing.

All your cons are correct except possibly the sizing on curves part (which likely depends on the application). They definitely increase the chance of an incomplete cut or knot in the wood causing havoc.

The pro is in the aesthetic.

4 Likes