Spiral box

Greetings, I am Harmattan.

I’d been kicking this idea around for a while and decided to finally go for it. It’s not a terribly complicated idea, but getting things to line up and stay adhered to the curved surface was tricky. Enjoy.

(Maple, various raw veneers, brass rods, neodymium magnets)

(Maple, various raw veneers)

70 Likes

Love this for it’s simplistic elegance!

3 Likes

Wow - that’s beautiful! Great job!

3 Likes

Beautiful.

3 Likes

Seriously cool work. How did you keep it aligned in glue up? Did you do one strip at a time?

4 Likes

Nope :slight_smile: Any other guesses?

Simply beautiful.

3 Likes

My other guess would be to tape the individual strips up and cut them with the angle. Then flip the piece over with the tape still on it and do the whole thing as one wrap.

2 Likes

Close, yeah. I cut all the strips in the laser then laid them all face down on blue tape. Trim the tape to fit the aligned veneers, glue the backs of the veneer, then wrap it all at once. Clamp as needed.

16 Likes

So pretty!!

2 Likes

Its beautiful and really cool.

2 Likes

This technique could be extended to do just about any veneer inlay on a curved surface, I’m sure I’m not inventing anything here, but it’s new to me, and feels like it has a lot of potential. This box was about 2" diameter, if I doubled that the curve would be far gentler and would be a lot less difficult to glue up.

2 Likes

i was suspecting you did it all flat as one piece first. nice job.

1 Like

I learned something today. Good moniker for your box.

1 Like

You laid the veneer strips on over a living hinge?

1 Like

The contrasting colors of your veneers looks fantastic. Beautiful work. :blush:

3 Likes

Nope, it’s a solid box. I hate living hinges. :slight_smile:

Ok ok hate is a bit much, but I do think they’re less than ideal for most things.

3 Likes

Impressive, as always!

3 Likes

Another good one! Such vibrant colors in the veneers.

2 Likes

Insanely good! Well done!

2 Likes