Spiral Light support

I needed to get the solar panel for night lighting out and away from under an eve so I designed this…

I glued it in place so I could screw it down but the glue did the job and I never got to put in the screws. What was interesting was that the double spiral produced both pieces without wasting wood :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is the design if anyone is interested…
bracket1

The wood is 1/4" Baltic Birch and it fits on one sheet. I put it up before the paint was totally dry so it looks a bit shaky but then so do I. I see I also added a cross piece to stiffen the design you can see in the photos.

39 Likes

Great approach with the double spiral. Many designs I see here use two cuts close together for two pieces, which leaves a sliver of scrap between them. I’m a big fan of using one cut for two pieces, like you did here.

(edit to fix spelling typo)

9 Likes

Yes, A line does not have to close if you don’t want it to. Folk don’t realize that even a thin raster image line has a line on each side. In this case however I used Inkscape from the start to make a spiral (one line) and then duplicated it and rotate the dupe from the end point 180-degrees and made the two points one.

8 Likes

Very nice solution. Thank you so much for sharing!

4 Likes

Great practical cut!

3 Likes

Thank you for the share! I’m going to use this for a light weight solar panel for a bird feeder (camera).

4 Likes

Smart. You might want to screw it any way because the glue could still give after being exposed to the elements after a while

6 Likes

Pictures!
:grinning:

2 Likes

Hold yer breath, man; I didn’t say it would happen this year! :smiley:

3 Likes