Split cost of gold mirror cast acrylic 1/8"

Hi, I have been searching around for gold mirror cast acrylic and I found a place in LA that sells them at a good price in a 4’ x 8’ sheet. Trouble is I don’t need that much acrylic. To cut down into 16 12" x 20.5" sheets to fit the Glowforge tray it comes to $400 (which works out to $25 a sheet). Super reasonable for that size. Anyone interested in going halfsies with me?

1 Like

I’m skeptical about the “cast” part. Almost every acrylic mirror I have seen is extruded. You’re sure about the cast part? And you’re sure you actually need it? Unless you’re doing first-surface engraves I’d say it’s definitely optional to get cast.

1 Like

Have you checked out Trotec materials? A sheet of 23.94" x 11.93" mirror gold acrylic is 20.50, plus tax and shipping. For 16 sheets, which I know you don’t want that many, but shipping is free since it’s over $300. The total is actually $353.42 with my local tax rate in Orange County…and I don’t have to carry it home, the shipping is fast, I usually get everything within a week.

4 Likes

If you mean Troglass mirror… looks like it’s extruded.

If we’re cool with extruded, there are etsy resellers, 3/50$ precut for the glowforge.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/895918304/gold-mirror-acrylic-glowforge-ready-3?

If you want a lot lot for the absolute cheapest, order full sheets from alibaba, 12 full 4x8’ sheets for $44, who knows on shipping cost and times, but that’s crazy cheap, like $0.22 per glowforge-sized sheet. Mental!

4 Likes

Oh, you’re right. I only read the metallic description. The metallic is cast. I never paid attention because I never had to buy the mirrored stuff before, only metallic.

1 Like

Mirrored acrylic is extruded.

Thanks so much for the info! That is even better. : ) I will take a look.

Thanks! I will look into that. Probably too late to get for my project, but good to know for the future.

Not sure, this is my first acrylic project. I need to engrave on the front side of the mirror, not the back.

What is the difference between extruded and cast? I’m a newbie to acrylic…

The forum is your jaaaam.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=cast%20vs%20extruded

The gist is that cast engraves “whiter” than extruded and maybe some smell difference. Read on for details.

3 Likes

These guys have all sorts of acrylic, and the free shipping over $100 is a good deal. They come in sizes that are a little smaller than the GF Proofgrade, but otherwise are still a decent deal. https://houstonacrylic.com/

5 Likes

I’m not sure if I should thank you or not, for that link. They have some nice colors! Can’t wait to see how they turn out as drop spindles (mega bling! twirling around, mesmerizing…)

4 Likes

Haha, I basically said the same thing when someone else shared the link to me. My bank account got a little lighter that day :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! Can’t wait to try this out.

This was super dangerous… My cart and bank account are dangerous levels right now.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.