'Sportin Wood

Well, the GF has made me become obsessed with Amazon and craft materials, and my over burdened office was now MORE overburdened with wood / acrylics / tape / tape / MORE TAPE / Markers / Acrylic markers / ALCOHOL MARKERS!!! – i needed to organize or explode!

here is my attempt at organization… ANY TRICKS YOU PEOPLE CAN SUGGEST???

9 Likes

This is modest compared to the stacks I have accumulated! It is good that you are organizing now so it does not get worse as you jump down new rabbit holes.

4 Likes

Yep! Search results for 'Organizing material' - Glowforge Owners Forum

2 Likes

Thanks @cynd11 for the link, good resource for people storing stuff.

Jonathan

1 Like

My biggest organizing issue isn’t the new sheets, it’s the partially cut ones. I dedicated a drawer to them, but they’ve outgrown that too - I need to be better about using the cut pieces, or admit I’m not going to and add them to the burn pile (fireplace kindling FTW!).

7 Likes

What everyone else said, and also:

Spend the money of a proper architectural flat filing cabinet, you’ll thank me every day. There are lots of manufacturers, but they almost all look like this:

They run anywhere from 200-600 bucks, depending on if you find a used one or a sale.

If you don’t have the space or budget for a true big flat file, the IKEA ALEX is much smaller and cheaper. You can get two of them and get most of the utility of a larger flat file.

5 Likes

+1 on the architectural flat file cabinet.

Also, I recommend against exploding.

5 Likes

i use the ivar system from ikea.

i like flat files, and we have one in the model shop in the office, but we only use it for thinner materials (like chipboard, veneer, etc.). there are limitations to how much can fit in a drawer.

ivar is expandable and shelving is adjustable. plus you can just add more shelves if you need more organization/separation. i already had a 30+ year old ivar system, i just added 5 more shelves to it. i have a tall and a short (which works perfect next to the sloped ceiling of my cape cod attic) and between them have 12 shelves.

1 Like

I made my husbandbuild me shelves so I can store thing’s ‘flat’. I think it just encourages hoarding😳

10 Likes

i recognize that attic roof slope. very familiar.

1 Like

I am a big fan of metal shelves, they are cheap, they are strong and they are versatile, you can add casters under them, and make shelves any height you need, and best of all EVERYBODY sells them!

2 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

5 Likes

<3 <3 <3

Jonathan

1 Like

Great place for a craft room! Over our garage!

1 Like

Well since you can see all my supplies, i have to keep my husband out of the room or he goes on and on at how much stuff i have…all very necessary :laughing:

4 Likes

I love these myself. though, my supplies are on shelves in the closet that hang from rails.

1 Like

ROFLMAO,

My wife of 21 years(as of last month) was originally like “what do you need another tool for?” Her Dad didn’t repairs around the house/build things. so whenever I needed a tool I would tell her what it was for, and what ELSE it could be used to make. and then when I do build something(especially now with my daughters around) I point out what was used and what they got to learn how to use. :slight_smile:

So as she has learned that there is a multiplicative effect of tool ownership, she’s a lot more understanding. and these days about the only thing I lack is a planer. and I’m not getting one of those any time soon. too many other things to work on.

4 Likes

My husband has a bunch of tools. When I need something and see the cool thing’s he has and can make, it reminds me of how much he does for his kids instead of his wife! I’ve told them I’m going to start asking them to ask him to do some of my stuff😂

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.