SquiggleCam - ultra fast photo to engravings converter

Hello!

Building on top of the work previously demonstrated here by another forum member (@gwygonik): community.glowforge. com/t/generative-svgs-for-engraving/5843 , I built an open source, web-based software for converting images into engraveable artworks. These engravings take only a fraction of the time comparing to raster images and the output should be compatible with Glowforge since it’s just SVG files that are generated.

Check out a little example of the image → SVG conversion:

You can use your WebCam to make these drawings interactively and change parameters by dragging a few sliders here:
https://msurguy.github.io/SquiggleCam/

The software is open source and the code is published here:
github. com/msurguy/SquiggleCam (remove the space after first dot)

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!

59 Likes

Bookmarked and eager to test it out, thank you

That’s cool, thanks!

How does one go about using this?

Cool demo! Thanks for sharing it! :sunglasses::+1:

Basically you take a photo via the app and drag the sliders. After that you click the “Draw” button that turns whatever you see on the screen into SVG that’s ready to be imported to GFUI. Let me know if you have specific questions and I can try to answer them soon.

I love this! Do you have plans to allow uploading a JPG instead of using the camera? Myself, I’d love to use this on artwork like this (without having to print it up and hold it up to the camera :slight_smile:

7 Likes

i’ll second this. i’m more likely to want to use an already generated bitmap (jpg/png) than to take a photo with a camera. especially on the computer, since i wouldn’t want to use the webcam.

7 Likes

And a third…

2 Likes

I love the idea of this converter. Bummer, it does not capture an image on my phone :frowning:

1 Like

I would LOVE to be able to use this with any ol’ image instead of ones I capture directly with my webcam! I could see myself getting a lot of use out of this

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome, all! I’m working on a version where you can upload your own images… Probably will be done by the end of this week. Stay tuned!

11 Likes

Whoa–super cool tool. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hey, did that “upload to convert” project ever launch? Your site still only seems to work with the camera.

Awesome project.

3 Likes

Hi! I’ve finally had the time to update the tool and now it’s better than ever with tons of upgrades:

• Upload and cropping of images
  • Image adjustments
  • Paper / material color adjustments

Please check it out at https://msurguy.github.io/SquiggleCam/ and feel free to suggest improvements and provide any feedback.

18%20AM

Thank you and enjoy!

9 Likes

Yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is still so cool! :sunglasses::+1:

This is seriously awesome! Since everything comes in as paths instead of filled shapes, this will surely make some really awesome score line pieces. I can’t wait to see what people do with it!

:heart_eyes: :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

Cool idea! I wanted to try an upload, but I really don’t know how changing the values affects the output - Maybe a preview window? Mine didn’t have one. Also, clicking the SVG download button did nada :frowning:

Hi! Sorry the tool was not working for you! What browser are you using? I haven’t tested this on PC so there might need to be some adjustments to be made.