Stacked 1/4" MDF Base for LED sign

Yup…im usually using them for work…I get Monday and Wednesday nights now to play. Since I homeschool, my hubby takes my son home after his work on those evenings and I get the night off so to speak​:grin::grin:

6 Likes

This is great! Really beautiful!

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Ok…Im gonna go ahead and call myself a genius​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:
I have lots of white LED strips.
But people want color…instead of buying all the colors…I have lots of scrap colored transparent acrylic pieces…

I have two options…for colors that dont do edge lit like this red, I inlay a small strip within the MDF layers.

But for the colors that show…I make it a full layer that shows like this floro green.
Pictures dont show well but the colors are quite vibrant and look just as good as if I used the red LEDs…

And rainbow…

Now for cycling colors…these would be more anyway for the RGB strips and remote…

22 Likes

You should do youtube tutorials for all upcoming GF owners. Get in on the ground level with your name recognition and fans here :wink:

5 Likes

I’ll sound like Martha Stewart…lmao
I have several airbrush videos and hate how I sound😜
But its a great idea😀 May just have to think about it

10 Likes

Nice way to add color to the sign. I’m going to want to try the stacked base method using translucent acrylic for one or two of the middle layers of the base. I’m thinking it would still light the vertical pane, and add lit up stripes around the base.

5 Likes

And if you still want the sign to be white just make a frame of color and you can have that show on the base and it won’t interfere with the LEDs making the clear show up on the sign.

5 Likes

Exactly my thought. Oh how I want my GF!

3 Likes

My son was moving around the colors making the sign light up in different country flag colors…lol
Lots of possibilities.

5 Likes

You already have a lot of people here that would watch your YouTube channel and you have already made a lot of projects that would be great for instructional videos.
I vote go for it. :grinning:

3 Likes

Cool idea. I’ve also been taking some of this 18 LED flat flashlights apart and making an LED base that way. There’s an Instructable out there. I also use some battery powered lED bases from eBay that cost me about $5 and are good for a 4 1/2" wide acrylic insert. They’re LED restaurant display card units. The LED color is random but I just sort them out when they arrive.

For big stuff I have been going with commercial suppliers or using things like the ones sold for automotive accents.

15 Likes

Where did you find the bases for $5 on ebay?? Thats pretty cheap :smirk:

1 Like

Search for “light table menu acrylic flashing” - there are 20 listings now with the cheapest (shipping included) now looks to be $5.66. I usually get 5 or 10 at once and use them for quick little light signs.

The plastic it ships with is really 2 sheets of thin plastic you slip a menu card into if you were using it for its advertised purpose. I throw those away.

Quick & easy to use.

9 Likes

How many LEDs are in it and do the colors cycle or are they static? Is it a plug in power.

Thats where my cost is…in the 12v adapters

1 Like

Not sure - sitting in an airport now :smiley: but I’ll check when I get home. My guess would be 8 or 10.

It’s battery powered - either AA or AAA.

3 Likes

Found them…I’m surprised my contact in China has them for the same price…USA shipping is faster…may be useful for small designs. What thickness acrylic does it fit?

Never worked with acrylic and was wondering with the colors.

Can you touch an edge of one color to another color and the light will pass into the other to light up as well?
To have like a bottom that is green and the upper half red but sharing the light from the base?

What are the specs on the wall adapters? I bought a 5 pack for $12, but 12V 1A isn’t enough to light my strips.