Stacked Baltic Birch Apple Pencil Box

Baltic birch is actually surprisingly pretty when used in layers! Inlay and inner box veneer are purpleheart.

47 Likes

So good! Brilliant!

3 Likes

The rounded corners look good on your box. Very nice job. :blush:

3 Likes

Another home run!

3 Likes

Those lines are mesmerizing!

4 Likes

Ooooo, very pretty! Such a nice job on that Apple inlay as well.

4 Likes

Another great project. I am a sucker for purpleheart, and this was a great place to use it.

3 Likes

My inner OCD critic keeps lamenting that if only I had swapped two of the layers, the halves would have been perfectly mirrored. You can’t really tell how they’re going to look until they’re sanded and oiled, though!

6 Likes

THANKS!!! Now my inner OCD is kicking in. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BTW- It’s another beautiful result of your creativity.

3 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

I honestly think more people need to show off the layering. My layers are usually caramel color so it’s a hint of the layers, and I’m too lazy to sand it ALL away. But other people’s layers are black with soot or they try to cover the edges with something else. I think a decent amount of customers LIKE layering!

Very pretty box you made :purple_heart:

4 Likes

I’m impressed by how perfectly the layers are stacked up. I can’t seem to do that even with a jig.

2 Likes

120-grit sandpaper can erase a lot of alignment errors. :wink: I did use toothpicks and small holes in the inner layers for alignment this time, though, because I can never seem to convince my clamps not to slide them around while the glue dries. It helped a lot!

3 Likes

The layering is great — it’s one of the big advantages to Baltic birch over other plywood’s. Turn it sideways and you can even use it as the main design element!

11 Likes

Another fantastic job.

2 Likes

Nice! I like the stacked boxes!

2 Likes

The purple heart is quite the bling!

1 Like

Ahem - you clearly intentionally did the layering that way so that if you’re looking at it from the side you know which is top and which is bottom.

You can’t convince me otherwise.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like