Stamping out Cheating with a Glowforge šŸŸ

Yes, itā€™s a really big deal.

For quite some time, there have been crooked dealings in the annual Houston Plumbers Fishing Tournament.

Everyone knows it happens. The gentlemen running the show couldnā€™t figure out how to put a stop to it based on the way that the fish count was tallied. Hard to believe, but fishermen tend to stretch the truth a little (gasp!) and although it seems like a small enough thing, there might have been one group that was winning a little too consistently, if you know what I mean. :smile:

But there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the planning meeting tomorrow night. A Rule Change is comingā€¦and one of the planners has a wife with a Glowforge. Bwahahahahah!

Simple plan - each boat will be handed one large heavy plastic bag, stamped with the official stamp for the day, and the fishermen can put their 25 largest fish in the bag to be turned in all at once, measured in total, and the bags collected and disposed of. Since they will not have the official stamp, itā€™s going to cut down on the cheating and make things fair for everyone this year. (Also avoids the whole game warden cracking down on the Tournament organizersā€¦ although most of the guys are honest, there have been a few who fish over the limit.)

Anywayā€¦itā€™s a simple enough stampā€¦but I wanted to post it here in the Made on a Glowforge section to alert new users to the fact that they can make their own custom stamps, in case they hadnā€™t thought of it. Itā€™s incredibly easy, the art polymer didnā€™t stink at all, and if you are interested in making your own - you need to check out @cynd11ā€™s post belowā€¦it has all the links to the materials and the settings needed to do them.

I rarely get it right the first timeā€¦but following her instructionsā€¦I nailed it in one pass.

37 Likes

Alright! Another stamp maker!

5 Likes

Yeahā€¦I showed it to DH, who was so excited, he wants custom stamps made up for all his customersā€¦I have GOT to stop showing him what this thing can do! :rofl:

(And heā€™s buying the art polymer next time.) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

The stamp turned out great! Yes, it is a bit pricey, but oh so fun!

It really is best not to show them everything. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, itā€™s his tournament, so i kind of had to in this case. (Probably shouldnā€™t have suggested it - but he was going to hand write it on 180 bags for the tournamentā€¦that just didnā€™t seem like a good idea.)

Heā€™s even crazier than I am.

7 Likes

I think that would have been a real pain, glad you were able to hook him up! :wink:

6 Likes

Hey, Iā€™ve got a question for you stamping expertsā€¦weā€™re having to use this thick heavy duty ink to stick on the plastic bags, and it smears a littleā€¦is there a trick to stamping? Like tap it down, or drop it and then carefully pick it up? (Definitely a neophyte.)

3 Likes

It will stick to a thick piece of acrylic, to give you better control. Iā€™m picturing bags sliding ā€¦ maybe a way to hold down two sides while you stamp?

With it mounted you can run your hand over the acrylic to get a good coverage from your ink. Which also helps to stabilize the stamp.

3 Likes

Yeah, we got a block for it, but the stamp pad has a little lip on it that the block hits on, so the stamp wasnā€™t picking up the ink everywhere. (Fixed it with some 1/8" acrylic from my stash, but the plastic is really slick and it still slides a little.)

Itā€™s probably just going to take practiceā€¦which unfortunately, with 180 of these things to do, weā€™re going to get plenty of.

4 Likes

With the stamp clean, you should be able to get the back of the polymer to attach to the acrylic. For very large stamps, you use the ink by laying your stamp face side up, and then pressing the ink pad onto it. Easier to adhere.

When we use the Misti to stamp ā€¦ itā€™s basically a large piece of acrylic on a hinge, you lay that back (stamp side up), press your ink on, lay your paper (or bag in your case) on the bottom, and close the hinge onto it. Then you press on the acrylic to get a clear stamp. If it doesnā€™t adhere well, you have the ability to restamp it.

Maybe you could think of an alternative to that to aid you. Wish I could think of something. That is a lot to stamp!

5 Likes

Itā€™s great to have another stamper on board. Nice job on that!

Youā€™ll have an easier time if you trim the stamp with scissors so there is just about 1/8ā€ around all the stamping parts. Iā€™m guessing you are using Stazon for its ability to dry on plastic, and it is indeed sticky and hard to work with. After tapping the stamp pad multiple times on the stamp until it looks like coverage is even, try to press down the stamp firmly and evenly, then lift straight up. And something to hold the bag tight, as @ptodd suggests.

5 Likes

Brilliant competition strategy!

3 Likes

Thanks, hubby came up with thatā€¦heā€™s very clever. :blush:
(And they re going to expel him from the club tonight when he shows them the plan. No cheating? It will be changing a sacred way of life! ) :grimacing:

Thanks for the tips ladies! It gives me a couple of ideas for a frame type jig that might work to stabilize the plastic, and weā€™ll definitely flip the pad over. :sunglasses::+1:

6 Likes

Screen print or stencil might be easier for next year. Opportunity to learn another technique!

1 Like

Might be something to try! :grinning:

2 Likes

Geez. this is starting to make me a little crazy. I HAVE the gray laserable stamp material. and it sits in the drawer. :frowning:

all in favor of more hours per day!!!

4 Likes

Finale: 1 year later, thanks 2 Covidā€¦

Surprise ending! The team everybody else suspected of cheating are just better fishermen!!! :laughing: :fish: :fish: :fish:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: They still won. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

What a hoot!

1 Like