Star Trek: Strange New Worlds duty uniform

I built a yellow “command” uniform from Star Trek: Strange New Worlds for Halloween.

The pattern drafting and sewing was pretty simple, but getting screen accurate materials is a challenge: the real costumes use a high-tech microfleece that’s challenging to source*, and the shoulders and the outer panels of the sleeve have a pattern that the costume team screen-prints in-house.

Derek Basthemer of Making It Sew has fantastic pictures of the originals. He also put together a vector image of the sleeve patterns.

Thanks to Derek’s work, I was able to etch the command pattern into my polyester. Here’s a close-up of the shoulder panel:

The longest pieces were 23 inches long, so just a little too big for the bed. I could have used the pass-through, but it would have taken more joins, which is more chances for the alignment to go wrong. Instead, I used the long dimension of the bed with extra material rolled up and weighted, and aligned manually. I can find the join point if I really look for it, but on the finished garment, no one’s that close to my sleeves:

*I may actually have found where they got it–or something really close! But this version is using polyester knit from the fabric store. When I make V2, I’ll use the glowforge to make a screen-printing stencil, which will be both screen-accurate and faster than etching. But for a last minute weekend build where I had to use what I had on hand, this came out great.

53 Likes

Very impressive. I like the detail you achieved. Good work around for the length too.

Command suits you.

14 Likes

Looks awesome!

10 Likes

Fantastic work all around!

8 Likes

Oh wow that turned out great.

9 Likes

That’s well done!

Also, in all my time watching SNW I hadn’t noticed that sleeve detail - which both saddens me as I totally should have, and thrills me because that kind of detail is so cool!

12 Likes

Great work! It looks so good.

7 Likes

Outstanding! Both the choice and the execution.

Beautiful work putting it together. Wonderful use of the laser to add the patterning.

Are those the Fluevog boots?

9 Likes

Make it so.

7 Likes

They are! These are actually the official boots from the show: they commissioned them from Fluevog, and Fluevog has them available for general sale as well.

The boots were the first thing I got, but then once I had the screen-accurate boots I had to figure out how to get a screen-accurate version of the costume to match, right? That’s just logic.

9 Likes

This is amazing! Great work!

6 Likes

Wonderful job!

7 Likes

Very cool. Also, #hi. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow! Excellent idea and flawless execution, commander!

2 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes

Wow that is terrific execution right there. :slight_smile:

3 Likes