Star Wars Christmas

So I was inspired by the following:

Taking a little from each of them, I came up with this…

I found a schematic type image of the walker. Pulled the image into Inkscape and, essentially, recreated the image in vector form. I could have had Inkscape do its best at finding that for me, but I wanted nice straight lines. The body is scored on both sides. The diagonal mark in the middle of the body is a tiny bit of charred paper I didn’t get cleaned off.

I did NOT expect all of the detail to come through. I put a lot of those lines very close together. The precision of a Glowforge is mind boggling.

I made one for a friend of mine and made a couple of extras to go along with it.

Storage trays for the pieces, made from cardboard with a piece of cardstock glued to the back.

I realized later that if I had just laid the original cut in that configuration, I could have used the scrap as the tray. Live and learn. :slight_smile:

Finally, he’ll need some way to keep them together, so taking some inspiration from My First Paper Experiments - Exciting!, I created a cardstock box.

I’m holding it for the picture because I haven’t glued it up yet. It came out pretty nice. The Empire logo is almost transparent. I made a parametric sketch in Fusion 360 so I can make these for any sized object. The logo was engraved after the box cut using the power specs listed in the above link.

I love being able to make things I could only dream of a month ago. :smiley:

57 Likes

Never seen that before - totally cool! :smile:

3 Likes

I, for realz, started giggling at that!

3 Likes

This is friggin awesome! Really cute idea and execution.

2 Likes

Those are really awesome! My son would love those!! :star_struck:

1 Like

That is just so darn cute! Great design and execution.

1 Like

fantastic design and execution. What a gift!

1 Like

That got a literal lol. Awesome inspiration.

1 Like

The antlers are what really makes this awesome! Well done.

3 Likes

To be honest, I giggled more than once while putting it together. Lol

2 Likes

Love it! And the storage trays you made are really great!

1 Like

I’m starting to do this for everything that has multiple parts. I’m making a small nativity scene for a coworker and designed it with the parts arranged in a manner where I just slap a box around everything and the GF cuts a tray as the last step. Love this tool!

3 Likes

That is awesome!

Oooh I’m stealing the cardboard storage idea for the elegant reindeer as I’m making a few as presents and was just going to throw them in an envelope. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I was thinking of doing the same, but they fit so tightly that I’m not sure they’ll get stored dismantled. I had to put considerable pressure on mine to get the front legs on.

But, yeah, steal away! Hehe

1 Like

Good point. I’ll be making mine out of 1/8" Baltic and the first set turned out pretty good. I’ll run another test set first before knocking out a bunch. A quick scale adjustment to the deer will fix it if they’re too tight.

Yep. That was my first run with the deer. I actually like the tight fit. No reassembling if the table gets bumped. :wink:

1 Like

Love it!!!

That’s incredible! Well done.

1 Like

This is wonderful! The cardstock box makes for a very gift-worthy gift. :slight_smile:

1 Like