Starburst dispenser with an Arduino

I’ve had my glowforfe for a few months and this is my largest project so far. I used a combination of Shapr3D, FreeCAD and illustrator to design it. I had lots of fun putting this together.

Here’s the final product

Here’s a detail of the rack and pinion system I used to push the candy out

This is it working

And here’s how it looked while I was designing it.

Also, I used this website to generate the gear systems, I figured someone else might find it useful Involute Spur Gear Builder

42 Likes

How clever! :grinning:

1 Like

That’s great - except I would be raiding them!

1 Like

That’s really cool. Now it do an auto unwrapping mechanism.

My family has a vacation meme. We put Starbursts on the dashboard as we set out. They warm up in the sun and are easy to chew. It’s how we announce we are on the road.

Thanks for posting and the files. Clever!

3 Likes

Auto unwrapping is definitely the most creative spin off idea I’ve been told! Some people suggested a softer, others different buttons to get different colors. But auto unwrapping… that sounds hard man haha.

3 Likes

Awesome!

I mean you could up the power by a ton and make a fully-auto starburst launcher… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!!! What a way to BURST in! Your dispenser is amazing!

3 Likes

This is wonderful! And thanks for the gear builder, that I know will come in very handy.

Great concept but not enough capacity. The one in charge of refilling will be very busy.

1 Like

Slick! I could adapt that to dispense my lens wipes… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Welcome to the community! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Super cool project! It was fun watching it spit out those pieces. Can’t wait to see what you make next!

2 Likes

Nicely done, sir!

With the arduino you could do even more…just in software.

Like, maybe a Starburst cuckcoo clock, that dispenses a single Starburst on the hour?

Or a version that plays a little game with you: wait for the random signal (a tone or LED flash) then, QUICK !!–press the button in time to earn a Starburst.

or…

2 Likes

Awesome! Now just figure out how to get it to just dispence the red ones!

I think there’s some little-known experiment like that… Some doctor and his dog… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is amazing. Would you be interested in selling me the print for this, so I could make it with my students?

Welcome @sinatral to the community. The OP has not been active for some years now.
You might try to contact him by sending a direct message by clicking on his icon and selecting Message on the top right hand side.

3 Likes

That’s just great! Made me burst out laughing! :laughing: Love it.

1 Like