Stargate Mirror

A Stargate mirror made on a Glowforge basic. Since I didn’t have the pass through everything was done in halves (Note to self: Next time borrow @evansd2 's passthrough for the faceplate).

This is all birch plywood with a grey stain (Varathane/Rustolium), which makes a passible stone finish. I also used the “FolkArt Lady Marmalade Orange” dye for accent on the chevron pieces.

I think I want to do a second one with an infinity mirror, but that’s a project for another day.

55 Likes

Wow, that is amazing. So detailed! (And I loved that show!)

(Note: It looks like your left-most lock is not quite centered.)

2 Likes

Many days of staring at it and I never noticed. Now it’s gonna bug the crap out of me. Sigh.

3 Likes

How are they connected? Can it be fixed?

It is so close… that one just needs to move about an inch.

Nah. Just give that one to evansd2 in exchange for letting you use his pass-through.

Awesome design!

4 Likes

Glue I am afraid.

Bummer… that is a lot harder to fix then…

I put in a bamboo floor in the kitchen, and had a friend who is a finish carpenter admire it. He instantly spotted one place where I managed to not stagger the joints. It can’t be unseen now. :roll_eyes:

Nice work on the mirror, regardless. :+1:

4 Likes

You never notice seams in granite countertops until you replace/install your own.

4 Likes

Sorry… I wish I hadn’t pointed it out now…

2 Likes

Beautiful! And +1 the infinity mirror version. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love it!!!

1 Like

I think it’s awesome!

1 Like

IMNSHO it looks freaking awesome.

1 Like

Or that they are necessary.
When we redid the kitchen, the sink counter was slightly over ten foot. I was admiring the slab as they had it across a worktable outside, when I noticed him making cut lines on it. Asked him what he was doing and he said cutting it in half to get it inside. I said, well I said things, so he proceeded to pen out the sink hole and show the thin sections left stating there was no way to take that inside like that without it breaking.
I agreed, so we decided to carry it in intact (took 4 of us) and cut the sink hole in the kitchen.
With three shop vacs working it still dusted the hell out of the kitchen (which was cleaned before the wife had a chance to pass judgement).

BUT, there is not a seam in the middle of where the sink is.

Meanwhile… I like that Stargate mirror @shogun , seams and all.

5 Likes

Okay… A little bit of careful chisel work and I was able to reposition the wayward chevron.

All is well.

10 Likes

It looked AMAZING before, but now it looks PERFECT!!

Wow, you did such a great job!

(I felt so bad about point out a flaw… I will probably never do that again…)

4 Likes

We all do it from time to time. (cough)(cough)kerning(cough).

The mirror still looks awesome!

2 Likes

It just motivated me to fix it. No worries.

5 Likes

That is awesome! One of my Fav movies of all time!!!

2 Likes