Stay safe my new england people

Ah, don’t eat the yellow snow, eh?

1 Like

:musical_note: “Watch out where the huskies go,
and don’t you eat that yellow snow!” :notes:

• Frank Zappa, 1974
2 Likes

My girlfriend is at the SOT conference in Baltimore. I asked if the weather was messing with stuff.
Her response:
“Omg so ridic. Some people (mostly locals/commuters) didn’t attend today but there was like only like 2 inches of snow. I think flights did get cancelled but I don’t know why.”

4 Likes

Sounds like Seattle – snow is so rare here in the city, and it is not really prepared for it when it does happen, that everything starts to shut down when there is an inch of snow…

1 Like

We got about 18". Sent the kids out to shovel :wink:

Had to make a special path around the side of the house so the propane folks will be able to deliver. (Yes, that’s the same side of the house the plow puts all the extra snow.)

3 Likes

The mere suggestion that snow is coming sends the hordes to clean out the groceries here in Knoxville. If one waits 24 hours after a new snow, most all the crazies have wrecked and the streets are relatively safe.

4 Likes

Well, we’ve gotten 22" so far and have another 5 to 7 of lake effect coming.
Typical day in Syracuse.

1 Like

We always called it that! I just thought we were odd and sarcastic. It’s on the internet now so it’s a real thing!

Lived near Baltimore during “Snowmageddon”. They really have no infrastructure or facilities to deal. We had a few days off work. Lots of French toast. The following September saw higher-than-normal occupancy in the maternity sections of local hospitals.

3 Likes

Do snowdays & blizzards cause contraceptive failures? Do people suddenly forget how to use it?

I wonder if this is just apocryphal. Otherwise along with the makings for French Toast it would seem people would also create a run on contraceptives in the days/hours leading up to a storm.

3 Likes

They don’t think about it when they are out panic-buying milk and bread. By the time it is an issue, it is too late (and the roads are already covered). A good survival kit includes them.

3 Likes

If your normal method is subject to failure after just one or two days they really should look into something with more shelf life. Sheesh.

I still think it may be an old wives tale now. Maybe true 50 years ago but hard to believe now.

1 Like

I don’t have stats; just a lot of friends with kids born that September and a couple comments relayed second and third hand about how busy the hospital was when they were delivering. :slight_smile:

If you’ve got a few days twiddling your thumbs and you were in the “trying for a kid” mode, then it seems you’d have more opportunities. Statistically, if you roll the dice more frequently you roll more sevens than if you leave the dice in a drawer.

7 Likes

Could also be planned. Better to have a kid in September than December or in the southern hemisphere March rather than June. In the US late in the year is better for tax purposes. Spring from summer marriages. There’s a natural ebb & flow of rational reasons that might lead to surges of births rather than assuming people become rutting pigs with no sense during snowstorms. Confirmation bias and assumption could explain all the anecdotal evidence.

Someone needs to do a government funded study :grinning:

2 Likes

UGH! Pregnant during the summer? Horrid.
My first kid was born in June; after that, February and March.
No tax shelter in the world would make me think it was a good idea to spend July and August that miserably.
But I wore flip flops in the snow when pregnant; so maybe not everyone shares my viewpoint.

7 Likes

:grinning:

1 Like

True.
But a voice in my head keeps saying “it’s cold and the power is out. No netflix, so… just chill?”

4 Likes

And I read that you were not liking math classes…at least you paid attention to statistics (gambling?). :grin: :wink: - Rich

2 Likes