Steam Engine Model

This is my latest project built on my glowforge pro. Really had fun designing and building this. I used inkscape for the design and it took approx two months. The engine was built using 1/8" hardboard from home depot and has over 30 separate cuts and many individual pieces. The engine was modeled after a vintage stationary steam engine and my plan is to add additional things that can be hooked up to the engine that can be interchanged as add on items. I hand painted all the items and the fly wheel is driven by small concealed electric motor in the base.

59 Likes

Fabulous!

12 Likes

Is this just a motorized model, or a tiny working steam engine?

Either way is amazing and I love it! (But if it is a working steam engine, I am even more impressed!)

13 Likes

Wow, amazing. What a cool project.

9 Likes

Such fun! Nice work!

9 Likes

Very cool! love it!

10 Likes

That is just fabulous!

9 Likes

Your project turned out wonderfully all around. Bravo!

9 Likes

Wow! Amazing!

8 Likes

+1 to the impressed crowd. Great work.

7 Likes

I love seeing it work. Seeing all the movement made me feel like a delighted kid with a train set.

8 Likes

Very cool!

5 Likes

Nice work! Is it a one-off or part of a larger plan?

6 Likes

So awesome!

4 Likes

Wow!!

3 Likes

The centrifugal speed regulator on these old steam engines is the origin of the phrase “balls out” meaning “going full speed”, when the spinning balls on the regulator had moved to their furthest extreme.

People think “balls out” means something salacious, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

11 Likes

Or, “Balls to the wall”.

5 Likes

Well now, this is just outstandingly wonderful. A real labor of love and it shows!

6 Likes

Very nice! Looks like a combination of Gloforge and 3D. Do you plan on sharimg the files? Thanks for such an interesting and nice project.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Just a gentle reminder that it is against forum rules to ask for files. If a designer wishes to share their files, they either put them in the Free Laser Design section, or link to their etsy shop for file sales.

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

4 Likes