Stellated rhombic triacontahedron w/ geometric pattern

Stellated rhombic triacontahedron on proof grade Walnut with geometric engraved pattern. I may need to start naming my polyhedrals like @evansd2. I think this one’s name is Mitch.

59 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Looks more like a Spike to me.

4 Likes

Mitch is cool.

And spike is already out there…

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

Well…whatever the name is I really like it. The score design looks great too. I am always amazed at the designs you come up with.

2 Likes

Mitch is a handsome devil, lol. Love the look of this!

2 Likes

Mitch looks looks likes he’s got himself going somewhere! Nicely done.

2 Likes

What a beautiful pattern adorns Mitch. Love seeing your work.

2 Likes

Oh, that really looks nice in walnut!

1 Like

Mitch is a winner. Love it!

1 Like

Hi Mitch! Looks lovely in the dark wood.
(I like the naming convention - kind of like women’s shoes get named. Much better than
“design-032”)

5 Likes

That looks SOOO fantastic! I love it.

2 Likes

The engraving definitely takes it over the top!

3 Likes

Mitch is sporting a fancy jacket of scores … gorgeous!

1 Like

you folks who do these hedron thingamabobbers must do maths good. it hurts just thinking about it.

3 Likes

Very cool design by any name. Thanks for sharing.

News tidbit. While looking at some photos that were being auctioned, I learned some interesting movie folklore.
The 25 foot dummy model shark in Jaws was named Bruce.
Spielberg named it after his lawyer.

2 Likes

This is very well done, and I’m inspired to make one of these in my style. As for naming polyhedra … This is not a stellated dodecahedron. It is a stellated rhombic triacontahedron. The word “stellated” is used incorrectly a lot. The misconception is that it does not refer to the number of points. To stellate a polyheron is to extend the facial planes beyond their original boundaries. When I look at this star I see 12 points, so I can understand why people want to call it a stellated dodecahedron. However I also see that the 60 kite shaped faces come in 30 pairs of coplanar faces. That is, all of the 60 faces lie on 30 planes. These 30 planes are the facial planes of a rhombic triacontahedron that is at the heart of this gorgeous star . Hence the name stellated rhombic triacontahedron.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m only going by what Stella4D tells me it is. :smiley:

1 Like

This is from Stella 4D.

3 Likes

Nope. It’s “Mitch.” :wink:

5 Likes