Stepper motor problem?

Today when the machine went to do it’s normal scan before a print, I noticed that the sound of the motor was a much lower pitch/timbre than normal. I’m a musician with a good ear so it was very apparent to me. The print went fine. I turned it off and back on and let it recalibrate, with the same result. I don’t remember anyone ever mentioning this before. Is this something I should be concerned about?

1 Like

Mine always sounds different on the scanning motion than the subsequent cut plans.

If your results are fine, I wouldn’t worry to much about it. I’ve been listening to my 3D printer sing for three years and have grown used to it’s various “songs.” My GF sounds different depending on the type of job, especially different for raster engraves than vector cuts along curves.

Not a solution, but an amusing anecdote - for one of the first demos of the Glowforge stepper motor drivers, our firmware engineer managed to encode the Nyan Cat song and play it (on loop, of course) on the stepper motors. I’m sure an enterprising person with time on their hands could queue up a print to do a similar thing.

8 Likes

I thought the same thing the other day, that the calibration dance speed was a little different from the sound of it. Resonance was definitely different.

I wonder how long it would take to just set up the print to map the sounds!?

I think we are at a disadvantage to the firmware programmer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for asking about this. I’m so sorry for my late response.

If you don’t mind, could you take a video that captures the noise so we can take a listen? Feel free to send the video to us directly at support@glowforge.com if you’d prefer.

Thank you in advance.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.