Still Cleaning - A Spot for Specs

Another fun fact they don’t tell you when you check in…When you get a little older, your vision starts to go. Particularly if you’re blind as a bat to start with.

Eventually, your doc says “Hey chickie, you need to use some specs for all that computer work, or you’re gonna ruin your eyes.”

So you got the computer specs and the distance specs and the reading specs (I’ll do contacts or glasses, but you can’t do progressives for computer work, I’d be sitting all day with my head cocked back at a funny angle.)

So I’ve usually got three or four sets of specs littering the desktop, and it’s really easy for them to get scratched that way, knocked off the desk, drop kicked…me and “39 Dollar Glasses” got a thing going on.

So hopefully this little holder will solve the problem. (Got two slots for the two pairs I’m not currently wearing.)

The smooth finish on the Proofgrade doesn’t scratch, but if you wanted to, you could line the insides with adhesive felt. (Still deciding whether to or not - I kind of like it plain.)

You could also use it in the kitchen for his and hers sunglasses or something.

73 Likes

Brilliant and elegant solution Jules! I love practical stuff I’ve seen on this forum, but I always appreciate how you add your own beauty and personal touch to all your designs.

6 Likes

Very Nice! Gave me an art deco theatre kind of vibe when I saw it.

8 Likes

Fantastic! That was the inspiration. (Movie marquee type thing.) :grinning:

7 Likes

Verrrry nice! Love the design!

4 Likes

Glowforge should hire you to be one of the project designers, and killed it, another great project.

4 Likes

Looks great! :thumbsup:

So the silly questions you can feel free to ignore.

• Walnut and Maple?

• Do you do a deep engrave to help locate the top piece to the bottom? (Asking for the sake of learning. I thought I had this figured out this morning (Ha!) and discovered the light engraves don’t give enough depth for locating things after the masking is removed.)

FWIW: I use my progressive lenses all the time on the computer so it varies with people’s vision :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep! :slightly_smiling_face:

This one was a bit of a bear because it’s not a standard box shape. It took 3 passes of a very deep engrave in the top level of the base to help seat the angled ends…I didn’t want to mess with a jig. Also double pass deep engraves for the sides to fit into an angled glue slot on the front and back faces. (I was removing half a mm of material with each pass. Takes a while.)

This was just a “getting to know F360 project” though - I learned a lot from it, so it was worth it.

8 Likes

Thanks.

I have one of those “getting to know” projects I did to learn Slicer as a result of your challenge for the pen holders :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kewl! Can’t wait to see it! :grinning:

1 Like

Ohhhhhh, @jules, it’s gorgeous! Your designs are always so classy and elegant. I can’t get enough of them!

5 Likes

Really really nice job on the eyeglass holder. Love the art deco look.

But you can do progressives with computers if you ask them to make the center section for the computer distance you typically use. They’ll adjust the grind on the lenses to make them work for you. Ten years into progressives and no complaints :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Really? I wonder why no-one ever bothered to mention that? (How exasperating.) :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I have a pair of progressives for the computer, one for doing my egg carving and drawing, and one more pair for normal every day wear.
They will be happy to take your cash and make what you want, I know they were when I walked out of the office.

2 Likes

I’m due for a run (actually overdue)…I’ll mention trying them when I go in this time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Very elegant .love the two tone look​:+1::smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, you definitely nailed the style! I thought the same, old school style embassy thing as soon as I saw it. Looks sweet.

Based on your response to @hansepe above, I gather that you hid the joints inside by engraving slots in the front & back pieces? That’s genius! So is there any glue or anything on this then, or is it just a tight fit holding it together?

EDIT: I reread and saw “Angled glue slot”… I’m quick.

3 Likes

Yes, I glue. There’s not enough depth to keep it locked into place with the 1/8" thick sides. (The glue does it though - just plain old wood glue. I’ve tried to disassemble a box or two and the wood breaks before the glue bond does.) :grinning:

8 Likes

Phenomenal, @Jules.

2 Likes

yes, modern glues form a bond that is stronger than the wood

1 Like