Still new to laser cutting, is it safe to cut Alumilite resin

Trying to find out if it’s safe to use Alumilite resin ribbon in the glowforge. Goal is to recast these ribbons in larger piece of resin for turning blanks.

Alumilite makes a lot of resin. If it’s an epoxy resin my understanding is you can’t use it in the laser. They also make a polyester resin. I believe you can cut polyester, but if you experiment I would start very small.

1 Like

From the MSDS published on the manufacturer’s site

Thermal decomposition may produce Carbon Monoxide and/or Carbon Dioxide.

so normal venting should be OK.

Not sure what the ‘ribbon’ component is that you mentioned - is that something you have embedded, or is it a different product ?
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I would think it depends on how thick the resin is I think that’s where your problems going to be

This is an example of ribbon

6 Likes

Fascinating looking material, but I don’t have any sense of scale, nor its composition.

It says in of the item descriptions that it’s Acrylic Acetate. Usually these are used for pen turning kits, duck calls, and knife handles. The thin piece of ribbon is made first than cast into larger pieces. Eventually the resin is cut into usable parts. I want to make ribbons with cutout patterns then cast it into translucent material.

OK, so I watched most of his video, and now have a better understanding of the process.
I think that if your making the ribbon yourself, you’re going to be using resins that will be OK with the laser.
Just don’t use any pvc pastes (not that you would, would you ?) or anything that has chlorine in it. Epoxies, acrylics, or polyesters should be all good.
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

This question is outside our team’s scope. I’ve moved it to the Beyond the Manual so the discussion can continue there.

1 Like

pen maker here.
I believe that the perforated sheet is actually Vinyl. I think they use the sticky vinyl sheet used for car windows. vinyl, AKA PVC, is a no no.

1 Like

Safety to me is very important, especially with plastics.