Storm at Sea, a wave too far

This is my favorite pattern. I wanted to see how it would look with multiples, not just a single block.

Looked good until I added the black lines…

Photo doesn’t show the depth of colors–I used watercolors for the blocks, and a dark grey Sharpie for the lines. [Seal the wood FIRST!] Now it just looks OK, but it’s done.

I drew the design in Illustrator and exported as a pdf. Cut out the panel and scored the lines, then painted everything. The nice thing is, I now know how to do this much faster on the next one.

47 Likes

This turned out really good!

5 Likes

in the photo, it looks like a piece of hand painted rustic tile.

6 Likes

Beautiful work!!

5 Likes

Looks like a tile to me, also! Very nice!

4 Likes

I like the black lines. Brings out the colors more.

5 Likes

I understand your dislike for the black lines compared to not having them there, but to me it looks different, not bad.

5 Likes

Lovely piece of art, this design is so flowy!

4 Likes

I don’t so much dislike the black, but that they are too heavy for the rest of the design. The sharpie really soaked into the wood a lot. Had I used a dark blue instead, the drama of the shapes would shine more than the drama of the lines.

5 Likes

You going to try again with this new idea?

I’m any case it looks lovely.

4 Likes

Thank you! I will probably make another, akin to a “coloring book” board. (Owner paints the elements in their own preferred colors.) I also want to explore other quilt blocks…you know, all those quilts I dream about but will never get around to making! Plus, I can have quilt wall art that doesn’t take up the real estate of a bedsheet.

6 Likes

I really like it with the black lines, for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

It looks great, I personally love the dark outlines!

3 Likes

OK; black lines win…I’ll make another one with thinner versions of the lines. Maybe instead of black, it will be a dark blue. That would minimize the heaviness of the line and tie them into the rest of the motif.

3 Likes

I think the lines make it look like tiles, and I think a dark blue would look very nice :slight_smile:

4 Likes