Stuck Centering/Focusing: How to Troubleshoot for potential Lid Cable issues before contacting Support šŸ˜²

If your machine is out of warranty, itā€™s not covered. Itā€™s not a defect in the laser, itā€™s a cable that gets a lot of flexing, so it can go bad over time.

2 Likes

Exactly. I just had to replace a belt in my car. It wasnā€™t defective, it was just worn and ready to be replaced.

1 Like

Enjoy that! An amazing place by all accounts. And Death in Big Bend is also a good read - but maybe from your next travel location. :slight_smile:

Curious - how are you doing on internet there?

1 Like

It was a delight - I was actually there volunteering, and was in the housing development where they have a lot of RV pads for volunteers and seasonal workers. I went with DSL for the few months I was stationary for the steady stream of internet then try to rely on the hit or miss cell phone connection. Oh, yes, all of the ā€œDeath Inā€¦ā€ series are great, and you are so right about waiting till you leave!

1 Like

How long does focusing take? Itā€™s been about 10 minutes. Thanks.

15-30 seconds or so.

1 Like

Thanks. I guess I will move onto the troubleshooting advice from Jules.

Thanks so much for this write-up @Jules! I have had my Glowforge since nearly the beginning and have seen lots of posts here and on the FB group about people having this issue. Today was the first time I have experienced it. Your write up saved me who knows how much time and frustration! Iā€™m back in business.

3 Likes

yes, that has nothing to do with a ā€œre-seating of the head connectionā€ - it is a problem the GF has with the lens getting stuck. Mine is doing that and has gotten worse and worse to the point it is almost impossible to get it unstuck. Frustrating. I am getting a replacement machine due to this issue but the problem is I run a business that uses this machine to make money and now I have a machine that doesnt work and the replacement machine they said it would take 2 weeks to ship out and now they are saying 2 more weeks while my orders are piling up and my customers are extremely mad. I am losing money by the day!

1 Like

Buy a used Glowforge Basic or a cheap Chinese laser so you have a backup when one or the other machine is down. When it comes to a manufacturing business, if you donā€™t have two, you have zero.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you. What would be the Chinese equal to the Glowforfe? The k40?

A good way to preserve the life of the lid cable is to not open the lid all the way :crazy_face:

2 Likes

3+ years laterā€¦ worked for me! The lens was riding a little low but I pushed it back up in there and turned my machine back on and itā€™s working now. Thanks!

Fantasticā€¦ itā€™s the gift that keeps on giving!