Stupid question, but not sure where else to ask

I’m reading in various threads comments like ‘take the backing paper off acrylic to etch but not to cut’. If I take the backing paper off proofboard to etch, how can the GF read the QR code that I’ve just removed?

told you it was a stupid question …

5 Likes

There are no stupid questions! :slight_smile:
You actually don’t need the QR code. You can just click the upper left area where it lists the material and type in the name of the material in the “find your material” area. (It’s right below the GF symbol and above the “add artwork” button.) This is very useful when you want to use GF setting on your own material too.

7 Likes

I have kept the backing paper on so far and results have been perfect. :slight_smile:

1 Like

well, thats just too obvious. But it is almost 2:00am and I’m diligently following the “do not leave your GF running unattended” rule whilst trying not to fall asleep

12 Likes

I understand completely. In no way shape or form would I promote leaving the GF unattended, but about the question of not watching the GF every moment, well… :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes
  • I’ve moved this to “beyond the manual” so it won’t get closed prematurely.

• There are no stupid questions

• As @kittski said, you don’t have to have the QR

• I often will remove the paper but leave the QR, this works great if you are working at another place on the sheet.

• Experiment! Some people like the results they get leaving the mask on. I prefer it off if I am going for detail in an engraving.

5 Likes

I’ve started saving QRs by cutting out a rectangle around them. I have a little box of them next to my GF, so I can toss in the appropriate one when I’m cutting scraps. It’s also a nice way to have samples (by peeling the paper off the back of each one) of materials to show customers.

4 Likes

I’ll be perfectly honest. Until I’m more comfortable with it, I’m not experimenting with a machine that can burn my home down! I know my own limits :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I respect that. And I don’t mean get crazy, just try things that you know are safe. masking on, masking off, both safe.

Down the road, make sure you know what you are cutting and it is laser safe.

Never step further than a few seconds away from the machine. That goes now not just when you start experimenting.

I’ve only found two things that want to burn my house down but I know over time I will find more.

3 Likes

@kittski you say that, but you should be aware that my family name used to be “Murphy” …

4 Likes

@markevans36301 so to save me the aggravation and fire extinguishers, what were those two things?

2 Likes

Corrugated cardboard and cotton cloth.
The cotton cloth was bad enough that I would not recommend it.

Corrugated cardboard (amazon boxes) need watching all the time and don’t make sharp corners and it is fine. Rounded corners pose a very little risk but start trying to make intricate, tight corners and whoa!

2 Likes

Yeah, also don’t try to do living hinges in corrugated cardboard. Guess how I figured that out? :wink:

5 Likes

interesting. Someone else recommended using amazon boxes for prototyping! Now, where did I put that fire extinguisher …

1 Like

Just keep an eye on things like paper and cardboard, (and foamcore). Things that burn easily, burn easily. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Cardboard is great for prototyping but not for all applications, especially if you are doing lots of close cuts and details like a living hinge.

1 Like

hey, i’ve successfully done test living hinges in corrugated cardboard without any flames! :slight_smile:

but i was sitting right there paying attention.

the flames issue with cardboard is not a big deal if you’re paying attention. i’ve only had real flareup once, and that was because i was sloppy with settings and didn’t notice my typo.

and it’s really easy to take care of. lift the lid and a dab of damp cloth and it’s out.

1 Like

All I can think of after reading this is “, he must have 2 kids…” lol :grin:

8 Likes

Re: removing the paper on acrylic or not. The problem, as with most other materials is weeding. It can be a real pain weeding (removing the remaining paper bits from the finished product). I find, however, that I get a frosty area (flash, blowback, smoke?) around my etching on acrylic if I remove the paper, and a clean design if I etch through the paper and weed the small areas with my thumbnail after it’s done. Cutting is no problem with the paper on. As an old vinyl cutter user, weeding can be time consuming, but I weed as the next itemis being lasered.

1 Like

get you a CO2 fire extinguisher and a nearby bottle of water and cloth. Helps with feeling brave.

2 Likes