Sudden centering/homing problem! SPOILER: It was the wifi

I’ve had my :glowforge: for years and I have never had a problem with powering up and alignment.

Until the other day.

It kept bouncing between Homing and Centering and it just would not cooperate. After an hour of waiting and rebooting it got online, but fell off again just before I could hit Print. I eventually got my 17 second cut job done.

According to my AP’s stats, the whole 2.4 band should have been clear. Interference on every channel was very low.

And yet, the connection quality for my Glowforge was quite low, even though metrics like signal strength seemed OK.

Changing my AP’s 2.4 band channel from “auto” to 11 immediately fixed the problem. (Thanks for nothing, Ubiquiti!)

Moral of the story: Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. It can happen to you. Stop rebooting and crossing your fingers, and start looking for a clear channel. And if you design a laser cutter, please put an ethernet port on it. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Thanks for posting; I would not have even known to do this (how to do this!) if it had happened to me.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.