Sugar Cube Dispenser Box

I use sugar cubes in my coffee - and they come in these cardboard boxes with an internal bag…which work fine, but I have a laser and an urge to make my life fancier :slight_smile:

This is built on a slant so the sugar wants to come out, and based off the boxes.py Integrated Hinge Box.

I’m very pleased with the latch, which I made using the depth of my material (4.5mm) as the width of the latch - and coated the entire latch with superglue making it way stronger than it was to begin with :slight_smile: It works as a rocker.

It fits nicely in my cabinet,

and it’s got angles made of ziploc bag (polyethylene) glued between the body and the lid so even when open all the way no sugar can escape :slight_smile: (FYI, the 20lb paper setting marks a ziploc very well, but didn’t cut through a dual layer).

Someday I may remake the entire thing in acrylic for easier washing, but probably not :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone want to give it a go (right click below and Save As .svg):
IntegratedHingeBox_V12
The pink bits are the test pieces I cut to make sure the fingers are hammer tight. My material was between 4.35 and 4.5mm and the holes in this were set for 4.3…so definitely required a mallet, but they’re nice and solid after the fact :slight_smile: Also there’s a 2nd copy of the words because I like doing a score around the edge of the engrave to make it extra smooth.
I sanded the circles and rubbed them with some beeswax, so they’re super smooth turning now :slight_smile:

*oh yeah, and those blue lines were supposed to be scores to help me see where to glue in the ziploc, but doh, they’re on the outside so less than useful!

34 Likes

Sweet!

12 Likes

Thanks for the share. I like the spring and the latch.

7 Likes

Nice share, thank you!

6 Likes

Very nice! Love the latch design. Thanks for the share.

6 Likes

You will enjoy using this! Thank you for the share!

4 Likes

Pretty nifty!
Dumb question: could you make this with clear acrylic for easier cleaning?

5 Likes

Not a dumb question, because it was one I asked myself!

3 Likes

Looking at that latch mechanism, I could see the wheels turning… Love the solution!

2 Likes

That’s nice! And brown sugar at that! Sweet!

3 Likes

Demerara sugar! Or at least as close as I can get to it (which means it comes from Mauritius instead of Guyana), but it’s delicious. It’s unbleached, rather than having molasses added back in. My father got addicted to it when we lived in Guyana, and for the longest time you couldn’t get it at all, but now you can at least get close. When the pandemic first hit, one of the things that became oddly hard to find was plain white sugar cubes - so I started getting these instead…doubt I’ll ever go back :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What a unique dispensing box! I think this is the first time on the forum that I’ve seen a spring latch. Thanks for sharing this cool design!

3 Likes

Wow, I can’t even remember the last time I used a sugar cube!
This is cool. Of course thinking of making one in acrylic makes me think of some fancy gadget with a gear and a handle to turn it and dispense one at a time - that would be really awesome!

haha

3 Likes