My time around here has been limited, there’s a reason for that.
I’ve been thinking for years now how I’d like a composite deck surface to reduce the maintenance, and the 20-year-old redwood deck surface needed help… again. I have sanded and stained that thing 5 times in that period. The thermal cycle between seasons and the UV of the mile-high front range is hard on stuff.
All I wanted was to replace the surface but once I found rot in the perimeter rim joist and ledger board, they support everything - so it all had to come down.
The composite material isn’t cheap, and you don’t want the new material to outlive the structure.
Even the siding behind the ledger was rotted. That was finally the bottom of this rabbit hole. Now I could dig my way out.
My only requisite was to finish before the snow flies, so I wasn’t in a hurry. I started pulling screws out of the deck surface in May. notice the 20 lb. bucket of screws in the foreground.
the new pressure treated framing lumber
New ledger board (after the siding was replaced) and the face between the ledger and house was sealed with polyurethane.
The house on the back here faces East and sun was brutal first part of the day. Note the hose in the yard so I could turn it on myself periodically.
New stair stringers (yes, 4 of them, and all joists on 12" centers)
New composite material (at this point I’ll just mention that this is above the walk-out basement and all of the old stuff had to be carried up, and all the new had to be carried down)
The design called for low voltage lighting, and the transformer was designed to mount to the wall next to the GFI power source and plug into it. I didn’t want a black box screwed to the wall next to the outlet with a pigtail plugged into it, so - power from the outlet through the wall to the old two-gang switch, and down to the transformer mounted under the deck.
I was miffed that the old GFI outlet was mounted in expanding foam I couldn’t #*@^% believe it. OK, pull the insulation and mount a block between the studs for the new box.
So now I ended up with exactly what I wanted, the post lights controlled by an inside switch instead of a tacked-on ad-hoc solution. All deck boards have zero screws through the surface, nice and clean.
Not bad for a 64-year-old white guy. Oh, and I lost 12 pounds…