Sunset Stroll (12 layer acrylic)

Found this design and thought I’d make it for my wife who walks our Shepherd on the beach a lot.
12 layers of cast acrylic
10.75" round
Design found on designbubdles.com

53 Likes

Pretty!

6 Likes

Pretty expensive!

8 Likes

I agree but still pretty!

5 Likes

It is for sure!

4 Likes

$7.10 for each layer of acrylic :sob: but she’s worth it……

9 Likes

Happy wife, happy life!

7 Likes

good man! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

May I ask what kind of glue did you use? My superglue leaves a white residue on acrylic. Looks like you didn’t have that problem.

3 Likes

I use 3m 77 spray and it sticks very fast if not immediately. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove any overspray and/or a product called rapid remover from GRIMCO which is an industrial adhesive remover.

8 Likes

So smart! I never would have thought of spray adhesive. Ordering some today! Thanks!

2 Likes

Be careful when using alcohol to clean acrylic. It can cause serious damage, but not always. Current theory says that cast acrylic is safer with alcohol, but I’ve never rigorously tested that.

3 Likes

Good and true advice. I have had the spider web cracking on extruded acrylic (especially clear acrylic for some reason) but this is cast acrylic and I didn’t need to use a lot so I took the chance and it survived. Rapid remover works great as well.

3 Likes

Very nice. The perspective on that last shot is perfect! How the orange layer just shows on the front edge of the woman and top of the dog… showing the edge of their sun-lit side. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

This is stunning! Great job. I love acrylic!

5 Likes

Very pretty, and love that it is topped out with teal. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

That is beautiful. (it’s got about a $1000 worth of acrylic in it though :laughing:)

5 Likes

Alcohol has destroyed about every extruded acrylic project that I have cleaned with it. Took me forever to figure out what was causing it.

6 Likes

The issue is the Alcohol and not the Acrylic. Ethanol (two carbons) would work well on everything but to avoid the alcohol tax other types of alcohol are mixed in, and that is where the trouble is. Methanol (one carbon) is particularly horrid on acrylic and I am not sure of others.

I have found the sacrificing some acrylic scraps on what you wish to use keeps you from sacrificing the good stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This is beautiful. It must be really heavy too.

1 Like