Super busy Sunday! Lots of projects

Busy Sunday yesterday of making. Most people would take Sunday and take it easy, not me. I was busting it out all day. I can’t take days off lol. My favorite local arts and crafts supply store (the one that is sadly closing) had some crates that they used as displays. They were missing the bottoms, but I was able to use some of the leftover siding from my woodshop and they fit nicely. Gave them a quick sand and slapped some stain on them. Not bad for $2 crates. I’ll use these as displays for farmer’s markets and craft shows and such.

I was also able to get some new projects made up. I finally used my catelog credit and purchased the Desktop Tool Carousel and the Shoji Votive Candle Holder plans. Made a couple of each. The tool carousel I made from PG medium basswood. The candle holders I made one in Walnut and one in Cherry. They call for frosted acrylic, which the store has been out of for a while now. Since I didn’t have any, I remembered I had a can of Valspar spray frosted glass stuff. Sprayed on the backside (which would be the inside of the finished product) of some clear, and it worked like a champ. These are pretty cute little holders, and work great with a little LED flickering fake candle.

Did some more playing with ceramic tiles as well. These are pretty awesome and so easy (and cheap) to make. I was inspired by the frame for the 4x4 tiles that was made by @alockbox, and I made up a similar frame for some 3x6 tiles that I have. Needs to be just a tiny bit wider, but I was able to take a tile to the belt sander and make it fit in the frame :slight_smile:

Lastly I finally got around to making some veneer covered bottle openers. I LOVE the way these look with the veneer cover. I think I prefer this to simply etching the stainless with Dry Moly Lube, but I’ll make whatever the customer wants lol

Also made some more keychains and ornaments (not pictured) and tried a colored ceramic tile and put it on the art/book stand from @Janerlea :slight_smile: It was a very busy and hot day, but man I had fun, and that’s the most important part I think.

36 Likes

Nice work! I wish I had a weekend to catch up on projects, too busy camping… :smiley:

4 Likes

Good variety of projects

3 Likes

Thanks! I wish I had More time lol. I haven’t been backpacking in way too long :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you! Trying to come up with several different things I can display at my local farmer’s market

Nice work for a Sunday! I had to laugh when I saw your bottle opener. I’ve had some for months now, but lacking a good phrase to use - how simple and appropriate is “Cheers!”
So thanks! :rofl:

3 Likes

I thought I got a good enough amount of work done lol. YES! I had the same problem honestly with the bottle openers. I wanted to make up one as a display but had the hardest time coming up with what to put on it lol. So, CHEERS! Glad I could help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great Projects! Really awesome work! I spent my weekend waiting for my machine to cool down :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Hah! I like that Ironton sign, but I’d need one with Missouri. (Got an uncle who’s the mayor out there. They might have a population of about 500 or so.)

5 Likes

@designvh619 Thank you sir, trying to get more and more practice in so I can hopefully start designing awesome stuff like you. My forge lives in my bedroom right next to an AC register lol

@Jules I’d love to live in a small town like that lol. I’m enjoying working with the ceramic tiles. Super cheap and I think they will sell well

3 Likes

Is that your veneer or are you buying those like that? I like the way those look.

2 Likes

Thanks! It was Proofgrade veneer from Glowforge actually. It’s really nice. Already has 3M tape on the back of it.

2 Likes

Awesome. I’ve thought about making those pop-socket covers out of that but I can’t pull the trigger since the veneer is so pricey.

2 Likes

Those would look pretty awesome. Now that you mention it, I’m pretty sure the circle that was left over from the bottle opener is about the same size…I’m a scrap hoarder by the way lol

Hey, if it’s the right size, use that scrap. :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly!

Excellent work! Dig the variety.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

After installing the in-line duct fan I haven’t had any overheating problems. Though it is always 84 degrees here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome designs! I need to pick up a can of that frosting for another project.

1 Like