Supporting Local

I made some signs for a couple of my favorite places.

The coffee sign is engraved into monkeypod, the food co. is opiuma (Manila tamarind)

If you are ever in Kailua drop by these 2 places. They are awesome.

38 Likes

I get the feeling from crafting social media and forums that Hawaii has a pretty awesome DIY and crafting scene. Everyone seems to be making something, or buying something someone local made. That’s pretty cool, as are your signs. The finish on them is gorgeous.

13 Likes

Thank you! I used orange oil.
The only other crafter I’ve met is @raymondking32 a few days before he left!

8 Likes

I have some Ocooch Monkeypod but it does not look anywhere that nice and while I am familiar with Tamarind trees, I have not seen any of the wood for sale. That is also fabulous! Is the fact it is from Manila make it different than others?

8 Likes

Those trees are gorgeous.
Fine work on the signs :sunglasses:

8 Likes

As you know, daughter was there over new year. She’s talking about going back soon, and liked that side of the island. Make a list! :rofl:

8 Likes

These are beautiful. The wood sings!

6 Likes

The guava chiffon pancakes from Cinnamon’s in Kailua were always a hit with anybody visiting us, the omelettes were also always good!

@Aloha could you make the housing prices come down so we can finally move back?? Haha These look great, where’d you get the wood from? I never got the chance to use monkeypod but would occasionally see guys selling it while it was still green from a job they’d just done

5 Likes

Waimanalo lumber is amazing. They have such a great selection.

@eflyguy I second the cinnamons recommendation. I went there frequently before going plant based, great food!

Moke’s bread and breakfast is wonderful for lilikoi pancakes.

Over easy has tasty breakfast also.

In Hawaii Kai they have more adventure based packages at some of the shops (that I haven’t done but want to do when the kids are older) like jet skiing and other water activities.

Mahalo @PrintToLaser @rbtdanforth @ptodd
@raymondking32

6 Likes

Very nice! Love the wood!

5 Likes

Beautiful! Those businesses must really appreciate what you do for them, as much as YOU appreciate THEM!

2 Likes

Mahalo @rvogt and @ellencadwell

They did appreciate them.

I have another hot and cold cups holder boxes that I cut but haven’t sanded or glued yet.
It is on the todo list.

2 Likes

I am a big comfort food fan. :wink:

4 Likes

These look great, @Aloha!

I’ll be on Oahu later this week. We loved Kailua and Lanikai beaches last time we were in Hawaii, and I hope to make it back that way this trip. And I’m always grateful for a restaurant recommendation. Thank you!

3 Likes

That wood is amazing - great job!

2 Likes

Mahalo! I really like Helena’s Hawaiian Food on school st. It is off the beaten path. Great food.

Thank you @mrinken!

4 Likes

@Aloha how can we forget to recommend a malasada from Leonard’s!? That was another hit with everybody that came - they have a physical location in Honolulu, but you can find their trucks scattered throughout the island.

I wouldn’t recommend the chocolate malasada as it tastes just like warm chocolate pudding, but the haupia (coconut cream) and custard ones are definitely worth a go. The haupia has no texture, but it does have a light coconut flavor. If you find yourself on the north shore Ted’s Bakery has good lunch, but more importantly the chocolate haupia pie while watching the sun set at sunset beach (just a minute up the road from the bakery) is highly recommended!

If you’re further up the north shore towards Haleiwa, Kua Aina’s is a pretty good burger place :+1:t4:Just a handful of suggestions off the top of my head!

5 Likes

Thank you @Aloha and @raymondking32 for your recommendations! I’m accompanying my daughter to attend her friend’s wedding in Laie and reception in Honolulu. But we’ve reserved a few days for ourselves to take in as much Paradise as we can manage.

2 Likes

Man, I love those two woods. So gorgeous! I miss Hawaii for the wood. What are these and koa going for there nowadays?

1 Like