Surface Book veneer cover - Complete

So I thought I saw a veneer laptop cover that was somehow associated with the Gowforge, but I can’t find it, so I designed my own. I’m going to look at covering the keys also. I love the way this turned out.

Here’s the finished product!

Here’s a closer look.

I’ve attached all of my files, in a zip file at the bottom, in case anyone wants to modify it.

Surface Book Cover Outline - is the outline and the cutout for the camera. I purposely left it a hair small on each side, because I like the way it looks.

Surface Book Cover Dots - the cutout to leave a dot pattern in the adhesive. It didn’t hurt the application and I thought it would make it a little easier to remove if I ever want to change it. I also added a strip in the middle of the dot field so you can line up an edge, then seal the center. Then you can peel each side one at a time.

Surface Book Cover Files.zip (941.2 KB)

75 Likes

Very clever! I had to download the file to see what you were talking about.

2 Likes

Looks great! :grinning:

2 Likes

Be careful with tolerances for the keys. Adding anything to them will likely mark the screen.

7 Likes

Very nice! I like the pattern in that veneer. What kind of wood is it?

2 Likes

Looks gorgeous!

1 Like

Proofgrade walnut veneer.

1 Like

WIth this laptop, there is tons of room between the screen and keys. But I’ve decided not to do the keys because they are backlit and I don’t want to lose that.

4 Likes

That too. I had an older surface and I know that wouldn’t fly on my MacBook Pro either so I figured I’d mention it!

2 Likes

I love it! Makes me want to do something similar with my Asus Zenbook Pro!

1 Like

That looks terrific! I have a similar skin on mine, but it has a Glowforge logo inset with maple.

5 Likes

I couldn’t commit to one drawing, so I just went blank for now. Since the screen comes off I can always throw it back in the laser and etch something later.

1 Like

Looks great!

Thanks for this design. I saw it when you originally posted it and made a mental note of it. Finally got around to making one for myself and am really happy with the fit. Side note: this should probably be in the free designs section.

10 Likes

I don’t think they had a free designs section when I posted this. I moved it there now.

Thank you for printing this and sharing. I love the look. Did you do the cuts on the adhesive side too? I thought that might help when trying to remove it in the future.

3 Likes

I didn’t. I wasn’t sure how you got rid of the adhesive without cutting through - were they engraves? In any case, I don’t plan on removing this anytime soon. I figure if it comes down to it, I can probably get it off with a hairdryer and some floss :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you guys tell us what you used to adhere the veneer to the top?

The vaneer you can purchase from Glowforge has 3M adhesive on the back.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Man! That’s awesome! I Need to do this on my surface pro 6!