Surrounding space for glowforge with filter

Standard kitchen countertop height should work pretty nicely. I will try to pay attention next weekend to how high the tables are, and how it “feels” for ideal positioning. I remember in the previous Maker Faire they were at a very comfortable height, and the tables seemed a normal countertop design.

Thanks!

I’m also about 5’6" and ordered the basic+filter. While kitchen counter height may be okay for the GF as shown in the videos, they haven’t included the filter.

Adding the 7+ inches needed would put the lid about chin-high. A bit high for me, but others may want to be closer to the action.

Here’s the work table I built for the GF. It’s 28" high, so the lid of the GF should be about as high as the top of my UM2 printer.

Btw, I cobbled this together from an IKEA table top and their adjustable office table legs, so I could go higher if needed.

8 Likes

So those with a filter need to compensate for the filter height under the Glowforge. Adjustable table might be good all around.

2 Likes

@cleetose is on the mark - leave a few inches on the right, an inch on the left, and don’t put it in a cabinet or other enclosed space.

5 Likes

Just for fun, I knocked together a quick & dirty* model in SketchUp to show the basic + filter option on top of a 27" bench, with a 5’6" (~168cm) user for scale.

* I didn’t spend a lot of time on perfectly aligning the GF & filter, etc. Estimated positional/dimensional accuracy is +/- 1".

10 Likes

Thanks for your info. This helps a lot.

So now I’m looking at this

Or these

Looks like either would fit the bill. 25+" to 33+"

I’m prone to go for the latter with a piece of plywood.

1 Like

I used the BEKANT legs — I used them in my home office and they are amazingly stable, so didn’t hesitate to start with them. The top is a TORNLIDEN. I drilled out the mounting holes and use lag bolts to connect them. Chose the TORNLIDEN as it was about the only top that was deep enough to support the GF without overhang.

Can’t see it in the photo I posted, but I actually made two of these – one for the GF that will go under the window (giving me the in/out vent option), and another for my 3D printer. I’m currently using the other as a build table for R/C planes.

2 Likes

We had a brownbag at lunch today where @terence walked the whole company through the design of the filter from CAD to chemistry. He reminded me of something I forgot to share that may be useful.

The Glowforge air intake is on the bottom-right. Since the air filter sits under the Glowforge, it covers the intake. The part of interest is this: the filter actually has a separate fresh air intake of its own in the back of the filter that pushes clean and cool air from behind the filter/glowforge stack across the filter’s electronics (for cooling), then up into the Glowforge’s air intake (without going through the filter, since it’s clean air). From there the clean air goes across your material, out the exhaust, back into the main filter cartridge for cleaning/filtering, and out the right side of the filter.

I can’t share CAD diagrams with you but if someone wants to sketch up a draft of what I just described, I’m happy to confirm or correct it.

13 Likes

Well, that raises a question in my mind. You are using ambient air to cool the filter electronics and the Glowforge. If you add in the filter electronics into the flow, does that mean the ambient air has to be cooler (<70DegF) to run the Glowforge optimally?

1 Like

Here’s my take. I don’t have any of the internals of course and it’s very basic.

Here’s the link to the model in Fusion 360 if anyone wants to use it.

One of the things that I noticed in making this, the filter Tech Specs say that it is 7" in height, but the filter shown in the video and in the images above the tech specs looks to be about 1/2 the height of the GF, not a mere 1.25" shorter. Interesting.

2 Likes

Interesting!

@terence made a mention in another thread that the filter adds less than 7", but didn’t give an exact number.

Then again, the video was promotional and everything was prototype, so that filter form has likely changed. No biggie, it was just an interesting observation.

That rendering looks like a gigantic iPhone minus the home button. :grin:

2 Likes

…and a cup holder under the lid! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s the air intake!

You’ve got some flexibility, but yes, <=72 degrees is best. The Pro does have thermoelectric cooling, so it can stand a warmer room.

3 Likes

Thanks Dan. I have the Pro version. Can you comment more on the flexibility? I live in Queensland where my office can get over 30.C during warmer months.

30.C = 86F

I’m afraid we don’t have operational data at those temperatures yet.