SVG export gotcha in Illustrator 2020

Bitmaps CAN only be engraved. That isn’t an error.

You can only cut or score vectors.

Edit: you can also engrave vectors… poor wording on my side

1 Like

I didn’t know SVG was a bitmap. I thought it was a SVG

SVG is basically a container file that can contain either bitmap or vector components, or a mix of the two.

1 Like

(or both)

1 Like

well darn, okay. Thanks for the clarification. What file does a vector have to be saved as?

Save as SVG. PDF can also work but is not as reliable.

1 Like

The vector can be saved in either SVG or PDF format.

If you want to share your image, here or via PM I’ll be happy to look at it and help.

What software are you using? Inkscape will produce vectors, as will Adobe Illustrator, Infinity Designer, Corel Draw, and many more packages.

1 Like

I don’t agree that it’s not as reliable. I find PDFs more consistent than SVG (at least out of illustrator). and there are things that it PDF can do that SVG can’t (like PDFs don’t need to have fonts outlined).

one other thing, though. if you’re using Illustrator, you can literally copy/paste from Illustrator to the home page in the GFUI. that’s pretty much all i do now. i avoid the intermediate file, which saves a lot of hassle.

2 Likes

TY, I will upload tomorrow as im calling it an early night. I am using illustrator.

1 Like

Sounds good. Illustrator is a wonderful tool!

1 Like

It sounds like your Kentucky state shape is a bitmap inside Illustrator so which file format you save to isn’t the issue. To double check hit ctrl+y (or cmd+y if you’re on Mac). This toggles outline view. If your Kentucky is a vector it’ll still look like Kentucky, if it’s a bitmap it’ll look like a box with an X through it.

If you get the box - google how to use the Live Trace feature - it’s the easiest way to turn it into a vector. Just remember to expand before you try to send it to The GFUI.

Btw-Since you’re using Illustrator, you don’t have to worry about saving out SVG, PDF or anything else, you can copy and paste directly to the GF dashboard.

2 Likes

thanks for the great information! I will try this and see what happens. I"m not on a mac but I’ll google to see the pc equivalent.

kentucky

@hansepe Here’s the Kentucky file you said I could send to you. Thanks!

and here’s a picture of my svg setting in illustrator

the SVG is empty other then length/width information.

Sorry for the delay, I’ve managed to be sick for the last 2 days. Can you try ZIP the AI file and upload it?

I’ve had some other issues with exporting to svg in 2020 illustrator. Has anyone been seeing these issues: Issue with Illustrator 2020 SVG export and double cutting?

Any ideas how to fix it?

THANK YOU - just saved me pulling my hair out!

1 Like