SVG wont upload

Made a new project in inkscape. went to upload and GF gave error message that I can only use SVG, PNG etc of file types. Tried to upload old projects, in SVG, that I have printed in the past. Will not upload those either.
Needed to print something for a customer so I found I can save as a PNG and it will upload then. went to use the cut function and GF error message said that bitmp files can only be engraved.
Brain is broke at this point, please help

1 Like

In order to cut out the png. file you would first need to create a vector ‘cut line’ (stroke - no fill) around the image in Inkscape, save it as an SVG, then upload it to the GFUI. I’ve read various things about Inkscape’s SVGs being in some odd type of format that gives problems when uploading. I don’t personally use Inkscape, but I’m sure someone on here who does will chime in with some help for you. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

*edit; here is a link describing how to save an SVG properly in several different software apps. If you scroll down, you can review the procedure for doing that in Inkscape.

2 Likes

The only way someone will be able to help is to include a copy of the offending file. Too many possibilities.

In two years have never had a file developed in Inkscape fail to upload. I use Inkscape exclusively. I don’t bother to convert from Inkscape SVG to standard SVG before uploading as Staff had suggested. I’m sure there are things you can do in Inkscape that will cause problems but my design process is always straight forward so I don’t need to use some Inkscape functions.

6 Likes

Usually I find that when an inkscape created svg file won’t upload, it’s because I forgot to embed the image when saving. It doesn’t always prevent it from uploading, but 9 times out of 10, when it doesn’t upload, that is the problem. Easy fix.

1 Like

Thank you all for your input. I would attach the SVG file I was working on, but I am not aware how to do this. I am also seem to not know anything about imbedding? in the past all I have done is create the file, save the project then print it out.

When you’re writing a post, you can just drag your file and drop it in where you want it. There’s also an upload icon – it looks like a a little hard drive with an arrow going up from it.

26%20PM

Since your file (theoretically) contains non-vector content, you’ll need to zip it first, because the forum software doesn’t support SVGs with non-vector stuff in them.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you ran into trouble. As others in this thread have mentioned, sharing your file is the best way to get help for this sort of issue. Could you please try following the steps @geek2nurse shared above? If you’d rather not post the file on the community forum, you can also email it to us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to take a look. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.