Sword Wall Art

I made these for my online store, I’m still working on the dragonfly sword

46 Likes

Very nice concepts.

Can you expand on your process? How are things colored? What materials? Did you align by hand or use a jig/template? What’s the scale of the pieces? I’m a big fan of swords made with the Glowforge, I like these a lot.

8 Likes

I painted the background pieces by hand with acrylics, then placed each piece by eyeballing it really. I don’t handle jigs well so I’d rather just risk it, I’ve got pretty good coordination so I guess it ends up fine without it.
Most of my designs I make specifically so I can build it, if not I just keep working at it till the design is simple enough to do without tearing my hair out.
I draw them in photoshop then line them in illustrator, it’s not the most advanced process, idk I might make a tutorial on converting images so people can do it too. With illustrator it’s pretty easy to see if things will fit because you can click on each piece and resize it to actual inches.
The boards I got from micheals it’s about 16 X 4 inches for the long swords and for the bee piece its 14X6 inches.

12 Likes

I like those designs. Looking forward to the dragonfly; would you consider a wasp sword?

3 Likes

Very appealing aesthetic, makes me want backstory for each sword!

5 Likes

It sure does!

How about the back side? Is there a recessed hole for hanging?

3 Likes

Very nice designs. I am imagining a spin-off cartoon series of sword-swinging insects.

An excellent place to use a pop top piece. I will be looking to start saving them.

4 Likes

Can you elaborate?

1 Like

Remove rivet replace with screw. (or similar depending on circumstances)

4 Likes

Oh my goodness! Thanks for elaborating. Ingenious idea!!

2 Likes

Where does one find pop tops anymore? Do you have a time machine?

The last one I saw a friend of mine dug out of the sand on a beach with his toes. This must have been a decade ago and that pop top was probably popped a couple decades earlier based on our hazy recollections of when the bottlers stopped using them. Unlike Jimmy Buffet he didn’t cut his foot.

1 Like

Look outside soda and beer cans and they’re still pretty common!

3 Likes

This takes the “floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee” quote to a whole new place!
Gorgeous work.

3 Likes

Huh, they make non-beer cans. Who’da thunk it.

6 Likes

I think most cans of food these days have various sorts of tops like that so old fashioned can openers find little to do. Unlike the beer cans the whole tops come away but the rivet is still there. Even the beer cans still have the tab riveted on but stays on the can.

2 Likes

I mean, I would still cruise on back home for a margarita. lol

3 Likes