Table inlay with cedar and resin

This table is koa which was used at a local restaurant and there was a fork carved into it with black resin poured into it. Sanding it down didn’t get the depth of the carving so it was routed out, and Glowforge to the rescue with cedar and resin.

49 Likes

I love it! Is there a resin you recommend? I bought some from the local craft stores, and I must be doing something wrong, because it’s always so tacky and squishy feeling.

7 Likes

A local artist recommended this and it works great.

MAS Table Top Pro (1-Gallon Kit)… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZR9BLW

11 Likes

That turned out lovely!!

8 Likes

Lovely!

6 Likes

Very nice.

6 Likes

That’s gorgeous - I love that your resin colouring matches the koa so well! What does weathered koa look like I wonder…

8 Likes

Tacky resin usually means you haven’t gotten the mix right. If you measure out the same quantity of part A and B, and mix thoroughly (usually 1-1.5 minutes), then it should dry hard.

9 Likes

Thanks! I figured that’s what the issue was. I was so careful and i recall it working alright the first time. Can it get old? The last time i used some in a mold i made, it was pretty bad. Like actually flexible and gummy. I’ve had the same box now for 4 years :rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Might be the problem right there. I found out the hard way that 3D Print materials had a use by date and it is shorter if exposed to air, but even in packaging it can degrade.

6 Likes

Very beautiful. Thank you for sharing this lovely piece.

2 Likes

Your clamping technique (last photo) would be welcome in my shop. The quest for heavy objects.

4 Likes

Mahalo @rvogt @Thumper369 @eflyguy @deirdrebeth @joonthelake !

@mark14 it was my first resin attempt, i put saran wrap down so I could pop it out if I messed it up, then found that the wooden inlay was floating up above the resin, so it was a hunt for anything nearby. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a thought to consider if you make another, to put the inlay in with the grain turned 90º (or even 45?)

if it’s going to contrast, make it jump out.

Again, just a thought. It looks really great as-is.

4 Likes

That was one of the first iterations that I considered. It seemed abrupt and to break the grain flow.

6 Likes

Agreed… hard to say.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! I just made a koa frame for someone (no GF involved).

2 Likes

Why not? I mean, if you’re going to frame someone and put them away - do it with style!

4 Likes

The table in action!
Thanks! Share the koa frame!!!

10 Likes

Once my friend finishes cutting it dow and joining it and I put a finish on it, I’ll post a pic with the artwork in it

2 Likes