Table specs for GF

Hi.
I am shopping around for a table for my GF and would like to share my scenario for input.

I am placing it under my window. It has a metal grill and the max table height that can fit under this grill is 990mm.

The basic glowforge ext dimension without air filter is 210mm
So Question 1 is, "should i place the GF at 990mmH or at 750~770mmH

750mmH is good for seated but im not going to be exactly seated in front of it so a high table would be good.

— 2 —

Next. Tables tend to shake and to have one that absolutely wont shake i can only think of complete weld shut metal tables and i kinda can’t afford that. I have been looking at solid wood tables with metal frame stable legs. I’m going to expect some shake likely regardless of what table i get.
Question 2 is thus, “How do I combat shake?”

Is it sufficient to install rubber at the table legs? But the table is still shaking. Will the shock absorbing rubber help? @Dan, Is the GF designed to work with minute shakes?

— 3 —

Q3, Material of table. Is it good to have wood?

— 4 —

@Dan, My metal grill max allowable diameter for the hose is 3.5"
Can the 4" hose be compressed to squeeze through it?

If you have not already, you should check out this thread:

Thx for the redirect but it’s not exactly in line with what i have in question and i dont feel like hijacking another thread.

1. It’s really going to be up to you on height. You’ll want everyone that is using it to be able to see in the top while it’s working, not sure if that effects height or not.

2. Diagonal cross braces will pretty much eliminate table shake completely. Just drill and bolt them on. Either metal or wood braces will solve the issue.

3. Wood or Metal. Either will work great. I’m making mine out of wood, but that’s because I usually work with wood and it’s faster for me.

4. Just hook up a reducer at the connection point and you’ll be good to go. Using one similar to the one below will minimize air flow reduction.

I would put it at the 750 - 770 range if it were me. Reaching up high is a lot harder than lower. and ya never know, ya might want to sit and watch.

Putting a slight 1/2" bump in your hose should not make any difference, or better yet, if you’re careful, you can reshape it to make it oval and keep the area the same size.

You make a good point about the sit and watch. Thx. Will go for the shorter range. :smile:

Thanks Jamie! Good pointers. Gotta look for that reducer but the table legs i have are probably going to be not the normal legs.

The diagonal braces seems like a workable idea. Will have to look out for them. Thanks.

To clarify. Do u mean hook up a reducer at the corners of the GF?

The reducer (that is what the image is in his post) is for the vent. It can bring you down from 4" to 3" (or lower), so that your hose can fit out the window.

What exactly causes the limit on table height? Make sure you leave room to open the lid on the forge.

OOooo thanks. pardon my ignorance on the reducer bit. Now i know what to tell the hardwareshop guy :slight_smile: So I can theoretically buy 2 reducers, one to reduce while the other expands the hose so as to squeeze thru the area.
However, is this recommended since I’m essentially reducing the volumetric area instead of ovalising the area to maintain the same volume?

If you talk to an HVAC shop in your area they might even be able to build one that goes from the 4" to the exact size and shape of your opening. Not a big deal though. Yes it will reduce the airflow but nothing that should overly affect performance. Where does the metal grate go? You mentioned a reducer/enlarger on the other side. Glowforge doesn’t recommend a hose longer than 8’ without a booster. A booster is just something like the below

I have an industrial embroidery. When I first purchased the machine I had placed it on a converted kitchen/bathroom cabinet with a 1.5"/2" wood counter top. The machine work great on it no vibrations. This was a temporary home until my stand arrived.
It is now on a stand that is specifically made for it from the manufacturer. It vibrates a little but it isn’t bad. The nice thing is that the machine is on wheels so it’s easy to move around(my machin is about 100lbs).
I would suggest a modified cabinet that would be sturdy and solid.

The table can shake a bit and there’s no issues with it. We just use standard Ikea tables, nothing fancy.

1 Like

Hey Dan, how about an Ikea stock No. That would answer a lot of questions.

I don’t know offhand, but it was nothing special. I wasn’t recommending it particularly, just letting you know that anything reasonably sturdy should be fine. We haven’t tried a folding table, but I don’t anticipate huge problems there either.

2 Likes