Takitus in the Bay - MakerFaire Edition

As I read through some of the BAMF reports it struck me that it would be nice to have a list of “tips & tricks” for those who are new to vending/exhibiting.

Edited to add: that was not intended to be a put down or snarky, or anything like that! Just noticed several people commenting that it was their first time :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve done a couple of other shows but yeah, I’d love to hear what is unique about doing a maker faire.

1 Like

Awesome write up! You really encapsulated the Maker Faire exhibitor experience! And congrats on the Editor’s choice - those are like Maker gold medals. We’ve gotten a couple over the years and are still super-excited every time! Now I’m really bummed that we needed to take this year off, it sounds like it was a really great year.

Btw, definitely take them up on the offer of help returning - they’re an awesome team to work with.

4 Likes

The Bay Area Maker Faire is rather a unique experience when it comes to exhibiting… You have to be prepared for literally thousands of people stopping at your booth, at least several hundred of which will be genuinely interested in talking to you about it. Sometimes at length.

Some tips, in no particular order:

It is often extremely hot outside, and quite warm in the buildings. Bathroom lines get ridiculous, especially near lunchtime. Make sure to stay hydrated and fed.

Having an anti-fatigue mat to stand on makes a huge difference at the end of the day, and comfortable shoes are a must.

A huge tip for exhibitors: there is a Maker lounge between the main exhibition hall and the “dark” building that is for Exhibiting Makers only – they have reasonably priced food and beverages, tables to chill at away from the crowds, and most importantly Maker-only bathrooms.

Have someone else available to man your booth for a bit so you can relax and/or explore the rest of the Faire. The Make team has volunteers available to this end if you need them, but ask for them early as it sometimes takes time to get one.

Start setting up early - it always takes longer than you think it will. If you need anything special - extra tables, chairs, fences, etc - make sure you note it on your application where it’s requested and keep asking them about it. The Make team is super busy and often gets distracted, pulled away, etc as you might expect at an event of this magnitude – it’s not their fault, so be nice, but make sure you get what you need.

Attend the Friday night Maker dinner – the paella is amazing and so is the free beer. But being able to socialize with all the amazingly talented people is priceless.

Have Fun!

19 Likes

Two more things my wife reminded me of -

1. don’t expect to have a good time with internet, either from the Make team or cell-based. There are just too many things cluttering every useful rf wavelength.
  2. if you’re showing off anything electronic or with moving parts, bring spare parts and the necessary tools. Most of us don’t initially design things for the amount of abuse they’re going to take.
13 Likes

This is really fantastic advice!

1 Like