Teaser: Mitered Cuts

I only wish I had time right now… (still tutorialing in the background.) :smile:

I’ll get back to designing and playing a bit soon I hope.

9 Likes

What sorcery is this!

9 Likes

wait…what…how?

5 Likes

My fellow Glowforgers here amaze me daily. This is today’s, maybe this week’s.
You do realize that with great power comes great responsibility right?
We’ll expect a full tutorial on this once you have it fully figured out.

12 Likes

See those burned edges? HC SVNT DRACONES!!

(i.e. HERE BE DRAGONS!!)

16 Likes

Trogdor!!!

8 Likes

24 Likes

Dimensions ?

1 Like

Haha–knew it wouldn’t be long before there was another. Good way to tilt a bottle of fingernail polish!

So, @nunzioc got it right, I used a jig that I cut on the Glowforge. Here it is:

And of course you are limited by how long your piece can be (about 2.6" or so, max), but you can make it pretty wide–8" or so… I’m waiting to get another part I need before I will know the exact dimensions, then I’ll cut it out of walnut.

33 Likes

Some great tutorial potential there… :wink:

8 Likes

Very cool, i’ve been hoping to see someone do this instead of the puzzle piece corners you traditionally see with lasers. :bulb:

3 Likes

Wow! This is something I assumed wouldn’t be practical at any dimension.

3 Likes

This is something I’d totally use. I friggin’ hate finger joint box connections so I was looking for another way to do joinery. A miter like this would be perfect!

2 Likes

Would it be possible/sensible to produce a joint with a lapped mitre joint, with a series of cuts/engraves, at different depths ?
This assumes you have no other wood working tools/facilities, of course.

1 Like

Brilliant!

This is brilliant proof of concept. Now what we want is some of the miter-based joints you can’t easily make with regular tools, like the splined miters and blind finger-joint miters.

3 Likes

Beautiful work on that link.
Splined mitres are my favourite for investigation.

1 Like

Can’t do it with very big pieces I guess due to vertical clearance since you’re using a jig.

There look like some interesting jig plans for a few different mitre angles here http://blog.justaddsharks.co.uk/laser-cut-mitre-joints/ - going to try make a 45 degree one tomorrow

1 Like

@m_raynsford is discovered by the forums yet again :slight_smile:

Since using acrylic, you could do the angle cuts on larger pieces by assembling multiple parts back together with acrylic cement. Would not lose very much structural stability (once you get good at gluing them back together at least)

3 Likes