Technology Resurgence

That build is neat but the c64x case they used was a recent design (2011) and built with the intent of being a classic looking but modern computer. I don’t know how different it is size-wise, but the major difference would likely be that the keyboard hardware is considerably less bulky. To refit a legit c64 and build around the original keyboard (and make it work with a modern computer) is going to be a little bit trickier.

Still, no reason not to try!

That’s me - I’ve still got it in a box that I push around every time we clean and toss. I never can seem to toss it. Seems like it was just too unique (vs. my Blackberry, Compaq PDA, etc which have all gone to the trash heap).

1 Like

The Newton was a brilliant piece of technology, well ahead of its time.
It was just some bold crazy company actually building a dream of what the future would hold.
My man goes on and on - and I get why. It’s unlike stacks of devices that came after.
That kind of daring was what made Apple great.
I think they have devolved into a supplier for overpriced yuppie toys that are more glitzy than useful. Apple is not game changing any more.
They were bold, though. Keep the Newton… it’s significant.

2 Likes

Roger that — Living and working aboard a carrier, immersed in what Tom Wolfe once referred to as “Navy Creole” for 4+ years, imparted a tremendous load of impolite vocabulary that pops up at such times. :zipper_mouth:

2 Likes

That’s gonna be my new excuse for hanging on to it. :smile:

1 Like

My original IBM PC I still have - 8088 processor, no hard drive, green screen monitor and cost more then the glowforge back then. Tutored BASIC and Assembler programming on it back in the day. Good old BBS’s instead of Forums and internet :slight_smile: My first associate degree in CIS there were no monitors or keyboards. Just punched cards nd the greenbar/lined paper. I remember COBOL and advanced structured COBOL and RPG using cards - and sometime 24 hour turnaround in the lab when you hand the stack in to have them run it ( hp 2000 Mainframe I think?). Heaven forbid if you had a loop and they didnt catch it before a big stack of paper printed out with one character or line per page - or you had a simple syntax error and had to wait another 24 hrs to find out if it would run at all. Good times
I still remember when a bottle of Tab broke in my backpack on the stack of 200+ cards of a COBOL program…

2 Likes

Everyone had one of those. I swear the operations folks let them run deliberately so they could make a big production out of wheeling a cart with boxes & boxes of paper stacked on it to your desk.

A different kind of walk of shame than today’s meaning :smile:

(And Tab. Sheesh, that brings back memories.)

oh, the bad old days. I remember that from the late 80s through the 90s here in Canada, I could count on having to pay ~$3600 for one that was one step below bleeding edge, but the newest/fastest ones were >$5K (and were significantly less powerful than a 3 year old smartphone nowadays)

2 Likes

Coleco Adam anyone?

TRS 80?

1 Like

How about a KayPro 10? I recently sold my old Atari 400 & 800 along with 3rd party floppy drives and a couple of programming languages like C and Forth.

1 Like

I did in fact start out with a TRS-80 Model II with 16K RAM, and it came with a cheapo cassette tape recorder for its offline storage. That one was cheaper though, $1100 if I remember correctly, but that was also back in 1980, when the Canadian dollar may have still been valued higher than USD too. I eventually upgraded to the Model III with 360K 5.25" floppies, and my first PC clone was a Tandy model 1000, equipped with an 8Mhz 80286 and around 512K RAM. And yes, for all the GenXers and millennials in the audience, those tiny/slow units are correct.

1 Like

I think my mom’s 10 is still in storage. Last time I booted it the disk was flaky. But the 11-year-old keeps nagging me to get cables for the C-64 and do the video hack for my zx81…

1 Like

5th grade classroom, 1980 sounds about right, TRS-80 with the cassette recorder.

My favorite programmer (shhhh don’t tell anyone I work with now), she mainly worked with life-critical industrial systems and DoD consulting, always claimed you write fewer bugs when you learned on a teletype terminal, hand punching your own cards.

3 Likes

My bookkeeper just told me a story about another client of his whose TRS 80 finally crashed. Evidently this guy still did his books on it.

2 Likes

My first computer. Bought a TRS 80 used from my father-in-law for $500 Cdn. in '79/'80. Cassette loader only. Had one game called Android Nim (sp?) if I remember correctly. I have just started my articling with Ernst & Whinney (one of the earlier iterations of what is now KPMG in Canada). Wrote some software (in fortran if I remember correctly) for audit sampling. Wrote another for tax that determined the optimum salary dividend mix for a small business corporation owner that would yield the most after tax income for any combined remuneration level. The tax partner hated that I could do the calculation in the amount of time it took for him to give me the parameters as he still had to do close in iterations to get “close” to what the TRS 80 could do. And it took him an hour or so. That was an innovative time for computers becoming accessible to the masses. Not a lot different than lasers nowadays I guess. :smile:

Sold the TRS 80 to an inventor for the same $500 I paid for it. ThatTandy 1000 was also my next computer.

4 Likes

My first programming PC was the TI-99 4a - before I got my IBM PC. I also still have my first laptop - the IBM convertible - the screen was like 6 lines of b/w lcd and it had the low destiny 3½ floppies(720 KB). But using my 1200 baud modem I could still use it to get on Prodigy and talk to my girlfriend back in AZ when I went to Michigan. It had no hard drive, but prodigy would run of the disk I need to plug all these things in and see if they still work… like my Atari 2600 too.
BTW- TAB is the only soda I drink - here’s a few cans I have to take to recycle - unfortunately I drink about 6-8 cans a day…

When I was in college that’s all I’d drink. Straight coke had too many calories (I drink 6-10 cans a day) and coffee was too harsh for someone pulling all-nighters routinely for engineering studies.

(Before people freak about the amount - 10 cans is only 3 larges from McD’s or wherever, or a couple of whatever the monster super big gulper size is now…and as for caffeine the 10 cans equivalent to 2 regular cups of coffee or 1/10th of Starbucks biggest caffeine hit.)

Now I drink Diet Coke because Tab was taken off the market for a bit back in the early 80s I think - just about when DC came on the scene. Tab came back but it’s not nearly as available and I’m good with the DC taste (not so with Diet Pepsi - too sweet tasting). I don’t drink coffee or tea but do drink another couple/three quarts of water every day.

:smile:

2 Likes

TRS 80, and NEC CP/M machine some old Xenix machines by Altos(486 and 986/T I think).

Y’all make me feel like I’m old but in old company. The kind to sit around a fire and share horror stories with.

2 Likes

Kaypro II…learned the funky basic it had with barely a year of English at the time :slight_smile: (manuals where all in english). Made it through all ladder levels twice. Whoohoo…was never able to do that again. Lugged that dang crate everywhere.

5 Likes

I was commuting once a week between Orlando and Chicago at the time and lugged that suitcase computer with me on each trip as carryon. The other passengers were not pleased :grin:

Having a 10 MB hard disk was a real treat back then.

5 Likes