Tempered Glass Cutting Board

Here is the source, settings, setup, and result for a tempered glass cutting board I made.

Source: I picked up this board for $9 at homegoods but here is a link for it online as well:
(https://kitchenandcompany.com/products/catskill-craftsmen-glass-cutting-board14-x-20)

Settings : I used 650 speed, 45 power, 225 LPI, and 1 pass

Setup : I used the grid I made to mark spots on the bed of the glowforge and marked the center point of the bed (9,5) that will map to the app.

7D9F5984-70E9-4A21-93A5-CD762052FFA3_1_105_c

I then put a 1.5" high 3D printed magnetic block on the point I marked so that I know where the center point is when looking through the glass. I then put the center point of the glass on the magnetic block. The glass is also placed upside down because I am engraving the underside of the board and not the top.

FCAC7244-9E06-4942-B6F1-E7D91E1DFE60_1_105_c

I wanted to do this without masking but use autofocus. So I put a piece of masking tape on the lower left corner to autofocus on. In the app I then uploaded my design, mirrored it, and then set the center point to (9,5). In the app it does not look like it is lined up because of where I focused on but it did line up perfectly.

32 Likes

Who cares about the glass, think of the knives. Your poor blades, they’ll get dulled so quickly :frowning:

6 Likes

Lol I figure people also have a knife sharpener. Our knifes have a cool case that sharped them whenever you pull them out. Idk who came up with tempered glass cutting boards but what I used is something that is sold as being a cutting board made of the glass.

3 Likes

Agreed! While this is AWESOME - love the engrave, I’d never use my knives on it.

6 Likes

Never. Granted I’m a kitchen knife weirdo and insist that I wash and dry and put them away instantly after using… but hey my knives stay sharp and they’re still pristine-looking after 25 years now.

This board would be purely decorative for me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This will destroy a knife edge faster than you can keep it sharp. It also has to be bleached because the knife will make tiny scratches and chips in the surface that are perfect for bacteria to hide in.

I have a Wustof chef’s knife that was used once on a glass cutting board. The edge is so damaged it hasn’t been worth the time to rebuild it. Don’t do this to your knives.

The best cutting boards for home use are natural wood, including bamboo. Plastic and glass must be preferably bleached and at least run through the dishwasher to kill the bacteria that hide in the cracks generated by use:

https://butcherblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/University_of_Wisconsin_Simple_Version-1.pdf
https://www.johnboos.com/mailchimppdf/WOODvsPLASTIC-GERMANSTUDY2015-V1.pdf

Also, that cool case will shorten the life of your knife by years. A good knife, well maintained with a chef’s steel will only need to be sharpened every 10-15 normal uses, for European knives and considerably less than that for Japanese knives. I have both. My main European knife is a 7 inch Wustof and it has been sharpened once in five years, but I don’t use it much in favor of my Japanese knives, which have never been sharpened and the newest is five years old.

I gave a friend a Wustof like I use. She uses a sharpener like the one in your case and over-sharpens it. The knife looks like it is ancient. After two years the cutting edge has receded noticeably and doesn’t cut as cleanly because the edge has widened due to the recession.

7 Likes

This turned out beautiful!

1 Like

Glass “cutting boards” are extremely common outside the US.

I think it’s a conspiracy by knife manufacturers.

On a trip visiting my parents many years ago, I might as well be trying to cut with a spoon. I ordered a couple of decent knives and threatened my mom to NEVER use them on her “cutting board”. She keeps them in the package and only I get to use them when I visit. She refused to get a real cutting board. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

(Now I’m struggling to remember what I cut on with “my knives” - it’s been 3 years since I was last there. I think she did buy some of those thin plastic sheets…)

1 Like

So…if I take this item that is designed to be a cutting board (not from me but from a real cutting board company) but engrave ‘Charcuterie’ on it, would it be less offensive to those who are personal with their knifes? :rofl:

This post is just throwing out the option for those who choose that buying tempered glass cutting boards fit their lifestyle. Most great cooks have multiple types of cutting boards because there are different needs. I grew up with these around. Just like I have my level of outside of work hobby (sewing), everyone in my family is the same level but they all took to cooking.

1 Like

My sister and parents gave us a whole Wusthof set as a wedding gift. They do have a strong warranty and yes, those are not great on glass cutting boards. But they do hold well to their warranty and can easily get resharpened. There are sooo many applications where a glass cutting board would be better. Usually you take into account the impact on the knife for it and use a different knife if you want. Glass cutting boards are farrr more hygienic then wood ones. So in an application where you have a hectic kid friendly kitchen, they would likely be the better pick for the safe kids snack. Those applications usually dont use the fancy end of knifes like a Wustof. In the end, it is up to the user to decide if they want to use it for it hygienic and other perks and accept the result of needing to sharpen knifes.

In the end, this personalized glass cutting board is not living in a stack with every other type of cutting board and all waiting for the correct application. It is on the user to decide.

For a brief moment I will defend the glass/plastic cutting boards, regardless of the havoc they cause to the knives. It is highly recommended by medical professionals for people who have had organ transplants use glass/plastic cutting boards just for the fact after food is prepared/cut on the board, it can be placed in the dishwasher for sanitization. That aside, :blue_heart: the fact “and the dogs” was included along with the tiniest of paw print in the lower corner.

2 Likes

If you read the studies I linked, both glass and plastic hold bacteria on their surfaces until it is sterilized. The studies all showed that untreated wood cutting boards self-sanitize. Bacteria concentrations on wood cutting boards decrease over time without external influence. The German study showed that after a relatively short time period, they could recover zero bacteria from the wooden cutting board, while concentrations remained constant on both glass and plastic.

While glass and plastic CAN be decontaminated, they MUST be externally decontaminated, both due to their surface physical properties and the fact that they don’t self-decontaminate. Meaning if the dishwasher isn’t loaded correctly or the cutting board doesn’t get loaded by mistake, bacteria will continue to contaminate the surface and spread to other surfaces. Contrast that with a wooden cutting board where even if you don’t clean it, the bacteria will be gone with enough time. Add a little soap and hot water and a wood cutting board will be as sanitized as a glass or plastic cutting board.

Plastic is recommended for commercial kitchens where it can be sanitized quickly and easily with bleach between uses. Glass is never recommended for any cutting surface by anyone who knows anything about knives.

Glass creates a dangerous situation where the knives are always dull, leading to increased chance of loss of control as the dull edge will not grab the surface of what is being cut and slides off, where a sharp knife will dig in and prevent the edge from sliding. Dull knives also mean more force must be used to get the edge to cut. This leads to deeper and more ragged cuts when cuts happen. A sharp knife requires less force to do the cut, leading to better overall edge control and the ability to pull back if a finger gets in the way. If a cut does occur with a sharp knife, it heals faster since the sharp edge cuts cleanly and doesn’t tear.

A dull knife also usually requires a draw or sawing cut, which leads to more and deeper scratches on all types of cutting boards, both due to the force of the cut and the ragged edge of the dull knife ripping into the surface. Glass cutting boards scratch and chip, leading to nice pockets for bacteria to hide in. Plastic ends up with deep grooves, again harboring bacteria. Wood self-heals to some degree and again, self-sanitizes those grooves and the rest of the surface.

The safest cutting board for home use is natural hardwood, preferably walnut, maple, and/or bamboo.

3 Likes

Serious question as we never had glass cutting boards in my house growing up: what do you use one for besides decor? I read the comments above re: sanitation, etc but I still don’t get it. A slick, unyielding surface prone to scratching and potential shattering doesn’t seem like an intuitive choice? (My mom was adept at dismantling a chicken with a giant butcher knife)
Like you don’t see glass cutting mats for xacto knives or other cutting purposes, or do you?

3 Likes

Me too! I also keep my knives surgically sharp at all times.

Or one of these I made for Christmas presents. Has all 3 walnut, bamboo and maple.

4 Likes

This is so beautiful.
Amazing job.
Would you mind sharing the setting with us?

Sure, I restored the post to the original :slight_smile:

Per the studies, the mineral oil keeps the natural oils in the wood from doing their anti-bacterial action, so it is best to oil minimally. So a heavily oiled wooden board would be about the same as a plastic or glass board since the bacteria just sits on the mineral oil.

You’ve made me feel much better about never bothering to oil my bamboo cutting boards.

I’m not being lazy, I’m being food safe.

3 Likes