Tempered Hardboard from Home Depot

If you tap your fingers on the surface as it’s lying on the honeycomb, you’ll quickly learn to tell the difference. Where it’s flat on the tray it will be more of a “thump,” and where there’s a tiny bit of gap you’ll get more of a “click.” I keep adding pins/magnets until I can’t find any areas that click.

6 Likes

Here’s the results of my tests - 1/4 hardboard, Home Depot:

Looks like Speed 125, 1 pass, full power is the winner. Just cut 4 push sticks for the table saw, they all cut cleanly through.

The first 100 was shooting flames (obviously) the 2nd one didn’t, so I guess it’s a crap shoot as to that flammability of the material where you cut it. But thankfully I can now create some awesome jigs for the table saw. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I have used both. Pegboard is just awful, or at least the Lowes 0.2" stuff is. I’ve had a very hard time cutting through it without singeing it. Hardboard is difficult, but doesn’t carbonize as much. It’s nice for applications where MDF or wood would be too porous, and strong enough acrylic would break the bank.

For example, I have a lid that fits down inside my recycling bin, which has to support 14 pounds of thieving cat. No way in heck am I paying for 0.25" acrylic for a trash can lid, and ply/MDF would absorb the cat food odors before you even started cutting it out.

I have the Basic, so what settings did you find best for you?[quote=“joshua.ballard, post:14, topic:30753, full:true”]
Tried it last night – it came out perfect. Thanks for the head’s up!
[/quote]

I’m sure different HDs have different products based on the proximity to various distributors, but I’ve found two different versions of tempered hardboard at my local HD stores. The kind sold in the 4x8 sheet is smooth on both sides and slightly thinner than the kind sold in smaller sheets. The smaller sizes are slightly textured on one side (for gluing to things)
I like the 4x8 version much better for laser work. You can usually get them to cut it down for free if you ask nicely (maybe even if you ask rudely, I don’t know).

I actually just used some HD 1/8 hardboard to make a bunch of nice custom shaped luggage tags for a vacation with the extended family.

The settings I use on my Basic are:
Engrave - speed 690, Power: 75, 195 LPI, 1 pass
Cut - speed 125, full power, 1 pass

5 Likes

Quick Question about your .117 HD hardboard setting you use on your pro. Do you Mask or Not Mask and if you do what method do you use?

Thanks in advance for your response,

1 Like

No mask, smooth side up.

1 Like

Thank you I’ll run with it

I just got my Glowforge Pro a little over 2 months ago and with the rising cost/shortages of wood has anyone recently used the 1/8” Hardwood from HD and if so did you still have same results and such? Also, did you use the same settings as others have mentioned “The settings I use on my Basic are:
Engrave - speed 690, Power: 75, 195 LPI, 1 pass
Cut - speed 125, full power, 1 pass“. I am looking to use it for home decor projects. How is it to paint? I have read that gluing down it works very well due to its “rougher” side. Thank You, all for your help​:blush::grin:

If you’re talking about a non-MDF product with a veneer, it all depends on the quality of the filler and glue job. In my experience the slow speeds required for a mostly consistent cut on cheap veneer material leads to heavy charring in the edges.

That’s the beauty of MDF and high quality boards… Consistency across the whole surface.

What kind of jigs are you making? I’m curious and always want to learn more.

could the folks out there in laserland post the SKU’s fro their home depot Tempered Hardboard?

I’m just curious as to which i might have here locally.

My closest (and crappiest) THD has 4 different ones. Better ones further away have more.

They have what I have always considered “hardboard” which is smooth on one side, textured on the other, in 4x8’ and 2x4’ sheets. I’ve used the latter for passthrough projects. Dark brown.

They also sell what looks like MDF as “hardboard” as well (but “hardboard” is just HDF anyway) - I’ve never bought that from THD. Looks similar to Draftboard.

They don’t even list the 2x4’ panels available at the moment, so I couldn’t guarantee the stuff I’ve used is the same. I bought some more - from that store - just a few months back. No stickers on it. Cuts like butter.

1 Like

What were your settings? Did you use a PG setting or unlisted?

They are unlikely to work perfectly for you, but fwiw as a starting point 180/FULL (Pro).

GF doesn’t sell hardboard so there are no PF settings for it.

Name it. I make all manner of small things - recently I made a 22.5 degree triangle as I was cutting a lot of 7" trim for my house and needed to cut around the bullnose.

I also make a lot of push sticks, pieces for jigs, etc. Essentially if I don’t want to cut a small piece on the table saw, or I want more accuracy than the band saw, it’s the laser.

1 Like