Template to NOT measure the kerf (test directly for tightness instead)

I was going to put it there, but that category doesn’t allow the tag “kerf”.
But yes, the design is free for anyone to use.

12 Likes

Nice share, thanks!!

10 Likes

Even with the volume of prior art I like your take on the kerfinator and will give them a try.

12 Likes

Yeah, I know, I find it really hard to make sure somebody hasn’t already posted something similar. I’m sure somebody has, if not here then elsewhere on the web.

15 Likes

I’m more a fan of the comb-type. You can print them out of different materials and dial in the kerf on both at the same time.

7 Likes

That’s cool… :slight_smile: Always, different solutions will work better for different people… and in your case it’s obvious from your Finger Joints post that you know what you’re doing! Those joints are really nice.

Regarding joining two different materials, for these templates you can print the mortise sheet from the first material and the tenons from the second material.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’m sure this will be very helpful!

7 Likes

Sorry I was moving too quickly yesterday and didn’t elaborate. I generally prefer comb style but I wonder if this would be a better test for inlay (the puzzle pieces especially).

There’s something to this where you’re sort of testing in two dimensions, the comb/slot style only lets you dial in kerf adjustment for material thickness, this method might be better for the complexities of an inlay piece. Interesting.

10 Likes

I love these. I have been using both the comb type, and the 10x cut type, but neither really satisfied the way I think about designing. This does.

I made some simple modifications to your file. FIrst, I color coded it for the GF (all text one color, all internal cuts one color, all external cuts one color), then I added in a 0 kerf to the jigsaw shape, I created metric versions, and finally I place the link to this thread.
kerf-adjustment-jig-edge-joint imperial

Many thanks.
kerf-adjustment-jig-box-joint imperial
kerf-adjustment-jig-edge-joint metric
kerf-adjustment-jig-box-joint metric

11 Likes

I’m getting more confident in my ability to use Inkscape. I had no problem re-creating your 0 kerf jigsaw design, for example. But I am still not good enough to have made that design with the nice, symmetric smooth curves. Can you explain how you went about it in whatever SW you are using?

5 Likes

I can’t speak for the OP, but here’s some very good advice about using bezier curves:

I’m a big fan of using guides to lock bezier handles to cardinal directions, it becomes very easy to make smooth even curves.

As for symmetry, just draw one half and then clone the half, flip it horizontally and snap the nodes to the original. When all is done you can unclone it and merge the two snapped nodes to make it a single path.

9 Likes

@stoli , I use Affinity Designer. I did exactly what @evansd2 said (locking bezier handles, cloning & flipping).

5 Likes

Without locking the tangent horizontal, copying and flipping would leave a cusp. I never considered using guides for the handles; that would address one of my stumbling points. Thanks.

5 Likes

Thanks for doing the metric version!

3 Likes

Another thing to consider when doing kerf adjusted inlays is that when offsetting a path the accuracy of that offset can be dependent on the number of nodes you have in your design. Curves are mathematical approximations, and sometimes the process of offsetting can introduce errors. You can improve the result by adding more nodes to your final design prior to offsetting, as described here:

6 Likes

Improving kerf adjustment on complex shapes, post:1, topic:50465"]when doing a “stroke-to-path” action on an irregular shape, you can sometimes see deformation of the resulting paths. The solution: add more nodes.

Thanks for that tip! Unfortunately my templates were done with very few nodes. I don’t know if Affinity Designer does a better job than Inkscape.

3 Likes

I don’t see a download link.

2 Likes

Right click on the design and “Save as…”

4 Likes

here’s a great big smooch :kissing_cat: for this share! Thank you.

4 Likes

when offsetting a path the accuracy of that offset can be dependent on the number of nodes you have in your design … process of offsetting can introduce errors

I tested this on Affinity Designer, with the particular curve used in the jigsaw template. Indeed there was some error, as expected. As far as I could tell, with a nominal offset of 0.0025", the error ranged from zero up to 0.00003". Fortunately, quite within tolerance for this particular application.

Adding extra nodes (again, in Affinity Designer with this particular curve) didn’t make much difference.

3 Likes