Tesla - I reserved mine on-line

I asked a neighbor who sells Ford products what he thought about the Tesla announcement of the model 3, and he just shrugged, didn’t say a word.
So I asked him “When was the last time you had more than one person come in to look at the same car?”

Imagine the Mercedes sales guys looking at these people patiently waiting - in the rain.

24 Likes

Hahaha! Talk about click bait!

2 Likes

There. Fixed :grin:

1 Like

26 Likes

…which morphed into GE :zap:
He did get robbed.

4 Likes

I :sparkling_heart: the Oatmeal’s piece on Mr. Tesla. :zap:

6 Likes

I don’t understand. They don’t start production until next year, and I thought that the reservations were done months ago? (both online and in person)

I wasn’t a fan of what I saw in the press conference announcing the Model 3. Maybe because it was a super-early prototype it just looked very… cheap. I don’t know… I just don’t like it’s lines. That said, the Model S and Model X are amazing and I’d love to own one.

Here’s a video of the full self-drive in action. It’s pretty remarkable, though there are a couple of random sudden slow-downs/stops that I could see being an issue.

2 Likes

That’s great. One issue with it, Faraday was the inventor of the electric motor…

Favorite quotes of Tesla’s;
If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.’

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success . . . Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”

“What we now want most is closer contact and better understanding between individuals and communities all over the earth and the elimination of that fanatic devotion to exalted ideals of national egoism and pride, which is always prone to plunge the world into primeval barbarism and strife.”

8 Likes

If I had a driveway for my house, I’d be on the list for a model 3 already. but alas, with no place to charge at home and the nearest supercharger about 2 hours away I just can’t yet.

3 Likes

We reserved just after the announcement.
It’s not bad looking, but I might slap a grill on it - jus cuz. I absolutely would prefer a model S, but like the glowforge, the model 3 was within reach of my station in life. 35k. Fed gives $7,500 tax credit, and Colorado gives $5,000.
You can close in on 50k if you option it out with all the bells, like ludicrous mode and bigger battery.

4 Likes

I believe it takes a dedicated 40amp circuit. The real savings would come with a solar array and a powerwall.

1 Like

Funny you mention Faraday… wonder what the Future will bring…

4 Likes

Cool! News to me, thanks!

1 Like

Man I reserved one as soon as they were available. I cant wait to get mine. So many amazing features. Autopilot is going to be AMAZING

3 Likes

One of the guys I work with has a new S. He was driving to CT from VT and the dash blacked out. He got really nervous because he was zipping along at 75. He started to move to the side and hit the “Help” button. The lady who answered told him not to worry, he could keep driving and he just had to reboot it. He wasn’t 100% convinced it was a good idea to reboot the system while driving down the interstate but she said the other controls were still active so not to worry. He rebooted (some combo of button presses I don’t recall but made me think of ctrl-alt-del). All came back fine.

I might have wet myself. Not sure it’s entirely ready for prime time. I know a number of people who would have slammed it into the median as they freaked out.

The last 10% of a technology takes 90% of the time/effort to finish. It could be awhile.

7 Likes

Seriously! Pull up to work, get out - and the car wanders off to find a parking spot. Your personal valet. Call it with your key fob. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

My house is full of Elon Musk fans. We got an early Model S and have been on the list for a Model 3 since day one. We’ve had the Model S for several years now and still love everything about it. There have been a few minor issues (door handles, floor mats, etc…) over the years, but Tesla has always been great about immediately sending someone to the house to fix any problem that arose. I’ve always wondered if being on the east coast makes them more responsive as there are fewer Teslas here. We’re also planning to install a solar roof as soon as possible. The kids have even talked about the Mars colony, but we discourage that kind of talk. I figure the first thirty or forty years on mars is a lot of grunt work and probably unpleasant. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This was a great read.

1 Like

Surely all the bells and whistles would include a socket to power your GF from? Just a thought.

2 Likes