Tested Gets a Glowforge - Second Pre-Release Unit in the Wild

Thank you!!

I’m actually not sure that the offset cut to create the “frame” was due to camera distortion. I understand that their functionality isn’t fully implemented, but why would distortion create two almost parallel cut lines? And it was a relatively small object, given the size of the bed. Having just watched the video again, my theory is that it’s a result of the detection software not interpreting the outer (or inner) boundary as “closed” - that is to say, it traced the outer line, found a place to cross (maybe when they adjusted the contrast down?) and then proceeded to trace the other side of the drawn line until it could cross back and close itself. The perceived offset is actually a representation of the width of the hand drawn line. Similarly, the engraving distortion could be a result of the contrast adjustments causing the engraving paths to be less precise than the original drawing.

2 Likes

Oh it wasn’t what caused it to cut the frame. The software decided that the line was thick enough that a cut had to be done on both sides. My k40 does this too.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I thought when I was watching the video.

Its dealing with the “Materials whose height varies across the surface” that I am so looking forward to. This is a non-stop issue with other cutters doing 3d engraving on wood. Especially with thinner samples that are almost never really really flat.

4 Likes

Here is a link to the plans for those interested…

13 Likes

Dan confirmed earlier in this thread it was due to scaling errors stemming from the fact that the glowforge assumed the drawing was on the bed of the laser, not on the top of a piece of material above the bed height.

Since it was actually physically closer than it thought it was, it assumed the image was larger, therefore it engraved/cut it larger than it should have.

4 Likes

The two cuts made on the outline (intentional or not, aligned or not) should have been done inside then outside instead of what it did. I would have guessed “cut inside first” would have been implemented by now.

My friend from Universal Laser knows both Adam and Norm. Talks to Norm several times a week and even he said today that he was surprised to hear that Adam was consulting.

3 Likes

Every component has acceleration/jerk/snap parameters, and our motion planner makes sure never to exceed them. I was skeptical when our CTO proposed it too (I think I said ‘that’s like designing a car where people sit in the tires’) but damn if it doesn’t work brilliantly.

That is the current state of the prerelease software, but it’s a bug that’ll be fixed.

We asked him to help us expand our thinking about what people can do with it, not how it works. It’s actually the first time he’s seen one in person.

Exactly.

The depth sensor works brilliantly, accurate to around 0.1 mm (!), but right now it only measures right before the print to focus, not when the material is first inserted (we’ll fix that).

That was a different thing: the UI expected him to click outside the design (“cut out this design”), but instead he clicked right on the design outline (“cut out the outline I just drew”). So the software dutifully put a cutline on either side of his marker line. @Tony’s been thinking about how to make that a bit more intuitive.

24 Likes

Lateral design thinking. Respect. As long the movement does not damage the tube over time and the extra mass does not put too much strain on motors. But I guess you guys are on top of all that.

On the one hand I like seeing the exposed tube because I like brutalism (in design terms not forum terms) but I can’t help wondering if a slick black aluminium cover over the tube would be a cleaner design. I know it’s not the final design and perhaps you guys are planning that anyway. Looking forward to seeing the final embodiment.

6 Likes

But… but… then you couldn’t see the Glowforge laser glow!

We thought about that too. Stealthforge, maybe a new version. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Nope nope the laser tube was always the coolest part of the makerspace laser so keep the retrofuture steampunk aesthetic pls.

8 Likes

Conceded.

3 Likes

I’m not into steampunk, or 80’s neon art, but it is a laser so the more light effects, even cheesy ones, the better. Also sound. I’ve never figured out why light, particularly in the void of space, makes so much noise, but pew-pew would be awesome as well.

9 Likes

Is it too late to get that UV blacklight glow? I have a Velvet Elvis poster I’d really love to light up where I plan to put mine, and I’d wear lots of white T-shirts.

7 Likes

Hmm…things are a bit more…legal…in Seattle…

3 Likes

I’ll have one of these please. I like black. (Painted my pink Gazelle black…)

1 Like

At this point, I am wanting a Ronco style infomercial. I realize that there’s no time, and the last thing I’d do with a pre-lease unit is take the time to produce one, but still, it’d be pretty entertaining. Especially with a couple of “But wait, there’s more!” moments. And especially especially if someone would make beef jerky with it.

2 Likes

Set it, and (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT) forget it!

3 Likes